What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Bottom wing skin rivets

msstahl

Anybody run into an clearance issue between the aileron hinge service bulletin angle and a rivet that attaches the bottom skin? Did I miss a step somewhere?

What is the best way to overcome the interference?

Attachments

• Aileron Service Bulletin.jpg
    Aileron Service Bulletin.jpg
    279.9 KB · Views: 296
I notched the flange of that one angle just a bit, and substituted pull rivets for the 2 trailing edge skin rivets that the SB added pieces interfere with.

MK-319 as well. Been using that rivet as a substitute for 3/32 rivets when needed. Going to order extras with the next Van’s order.

Solid rivet options

It's not easy, but it is possible to do these with solid rivets.

I cut the flanges on the reinforcement angles back at 45 deg, since those bits of the flange aren't doing anything useful from a structural point of view ("adding lightness").

I was then able to just get the toe of a small bucking bar in between the angle's flange and the rivet shank. Took me a few tries, including drill-outs, but it did work ok.

If you don't want to use solid rivets, an alternative to the MK319BS is a Cherrymax CR-3214. These are a blind fastener equivalent to the NAS1097 "oops" rivets.

Attachments

• wings_2020-11-11_02.png
    wings_2020-11-11_02.png
    721.5 KB · Views: 193
  • wings_2021-01-02_01a.png
    wings_2021-01-02_01a.png
    368.2 KB · Views: 230
Thanks Dan, I'll give the bracket modification on my left wing a try and see where it takes me.

Thanks for the heads-up. I'm getting ready to install the SB and had not caught the interference yet.

Back