What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Brake issue

9Abuilder

Lately, I’ve heard a clicking sound coming from my left brake, when taxiing out to the runway. If I apply slight pressure to that brake, the clicking sound goes away. Once I let up, the clicking sound comes back. It only happens above 10 MPH. The aircraft is a 9A with an O-320 engine and constant speed prop. Original brakes that came from Vans. Approximately 80 hours on them so far. Any ideas what causes this issue and what is the solution?
Thank you, in advance, for your help.

Is the bearing preload too low and it is the wheel rather than the brake? Then when you apply the brake it adds enough load to keep the wheel from moving. Many years ago I had a car with a loose (insufficient preload) front wheel bearing. It would click as well.

When the brakes are off the calipers sometimes rattle. The inside caliper is floating on the alignment pins and if a bit loose can make that rattle sound. When you apply the brakes it is no longer loose and the noise stops.
In one way it is a good sign that the caliper is not frozen or jammed 😎

When the brakes are off the calipers sometimes rattle. The inside caliper is floating on the alignment pins and if a bit loose can make that rattle sound. When you apply the brakes it is no longer loose and the noise stops.
In one way it is a good sign that the caliper is not frozen or jammed 😎
Thank you for your reply.
Is there a way to tighten the caliper or should I leave it alone?

No way to tighten the calipers - and you wouldn’t really want to anyway because that would likely cause them to bind up.
You can lightly ride the brakes to stop the noise but that increases wear and heat :eek:
Personally I don’t mind the noise because it means the brakes are loose enough to operate correctly.

+1 for what Dennis said. Normal.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to inspect the brakes to make sure everything is OK.

+1 for what Dennis said. Normal.

Having said that, it wouldn't hurt to inspect the brakes to make sure everything is OK.

Dennis and Pete,
Thank you for your help. If you ever get to Sierra Vista, Az. please let me know and I will treat you to lunch.

Brake clicking

I’m sure you checked this, but check the hinge pin for the gear leg fairing. Sometimes on my 7A the pin slides out a bit and rubs on the tire/rotor.

Back