What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Pneumatic tailwheel

daddyman

Well Known Member
I've wanted to lighten my tailwheel for a the last 4 years.
I finally found one from Matco- P/N WHLTW35 (wheel) TIRT6X2ASY (tire and tube) $ 102 + 24
My issue started because I do not have a standard Van's twin wheel fork with 1/2" bolt, but rather have a single arm- 5/8" locking design.
Once I received the new wheel and tire, I had to sand off .001" from my existing axle. My application also needed 2 spacers.
I ordered them from McMaster-Carr P/N9440T26 and cut them shorted to fit.

Very pleased.
The new assembly is 1.6 pounds lighter.
It is also quieter, taxi and landings are very nice.

Daddyman

Attachments

• IMG_4432.jpg
    IMG_4432.jpg
    92.4 KB · Views: 380
  • IMG_4430.jpg
    IMG_4430.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 308
  • IMG_4431.jpg
    IMG_4431.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 321
I have the same API single sided tailwheel and have been looking for this solution as well, thank you for sharing

Towing

Daddyman...
Looks nice.
How do you pull the -4 into the hangar with no nuts for the tow bar to grab on?

The 6" is nice, the 7" is better

I used that 6" Matco tailwheel on my -6 for several years, and it is a delight to taxi with. However, it has a tiny air volume which makes it difficult to inflate accurately, which also necessitates adding air almost weekly and the sidewall is so short that a pothole or big expansion joint can easily pinch the tube causing a flat. Had several flats away from home base, so always carried the original tailwheel as a spare.

However, recently Matco came out with a 7" version which still fits the stock Van's fork and has a much greater air volume (relatively speaking; it's still small) and so doesn't have the flat propensity of the older 6" tire. Just remember that to use these pneumatic tailwheels with stock Van's forks you'll need to make a spacer. PM me if you want a CAD model to have one made. Here's a pic of the 7" on my -6:

tailwheel.jpg

Last edited:
Mystery towing solved

Daddyman...
Looks nice.
How do you pull the -4 into the hangar with no nuts for the tow bar to grab on?

Bob,
I went through several towbars before I found one that worked. I think the advertised here on page1 would work, but I'm way too cheap for that.
I simply tuck it in from in front of the tire, then tug. The tailwheel bumps onto dolly-towbar and I can pull it back. Caution: you cannot push it forward, only back.
I'll take a pic or short video and send it to you.

Daddyman

good to know

I used that 6" Matco tailwheel on my -6 for several years, and it is a delight to taxi with. However, it has a tiny air volume which makes it difficult to inflate accurately, which also necessitates adding air almost weekly and the sidewall is so short that a pothole or big expansion joint can easily pinch the tube causing a flat. Had several flats away from home base, so always carried the original tailwheel as a spare.

However, recently Matco came out with a 7" version which still fits the stock Van's fork and has a much greater air volume (relatively speaking; it's still small) and so doesn't have the flat propensity of the older 6" tire. Just remember that to use these pneumatic tailwheels with stock Van's forks you'll need to make a spacer. PM me if you want a CAD model to have one made. Here's a pic of the 7" on my -6:

View attachment 14726

So far, no flats.
Great to hear the 7" will fit.

Thanks for sharing,
Daddyman

Vince,
My hangar mate with a -6 also, just installed one......he loves it and swears his landings are better. He does have to put air in it....and it is not easy being so small a volume....but it looks good and rolls good.
Do you think some slime would help with the air pressure?
We do like the custom axle with the easy to hook on nuts! Smile!

I just "slimed" two lawn mower tires for the same reason. There were no holes in the new tires, they just didn't seal well on the hub.

Actually, it wasn't actually "Slime", I went to the parts store and bought a can of "Fix-a-flat" and simply refilled the empty tires. Working so far.

I can't see why it wouldn't work on a smaller tire also. The volume in the can is probably enough to refill it a several times if needed.

View attachment 14726

The hyperlink you provided went to a page with a number of different parts. Is this the wheel/tire you used? http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEELASSY7and8PNEUMATIC-idv-3693-6.html

No longer available

I emailed them this morning and this is the reply:

Sir,

The 7 inch tire is no longer available and we do not make a 7 inch unit. It would not fit in a stock VANS fork but there was an aftermarket fork that others were using.

The smallest now if the WHLTW37 using the 200x50 tire which is 8 inch OD and 2 inch width

Thank you

George R Happ

MATCO mfg

The hyperlink you provided went to a page with a number of different parts. Is this the wheel/tire you used? http://www.matcomfg.com/TAILWHEELASSY7and8PNEUMATIC-idv-3693-6.html

Yes.

I emailed them this morning and this is the reply:

Sir,
The 7 inch tire is no longer available and we do not make a 7 inch unit. It would not fit in a stock VANS fork but there was an aftermarket fork that others were using.

The smallest now if the WHLTW37 using the 200x50 tire which is 8 inch OD and 2 inch width
Thank you
George R Happ
MATCO mfg

No idea why George would say that... the 7" x 1-3/4" tire is a standard mobility scooter tire available here and here and spare tubes even from Amazon. And as you saw in my photo above, it fits my non-swivel stock Van's fork just fine. I measured the newer full-swivel style and those have the same depth.

.......The smallest now if the WHLTW37 using the 200x50 tire which is 8 inch OD and 2 inch width......

Interesting info! That gives another option for that WHLTW37 wheel. It also means that the Flyboy Condor 2 wheel mentioned above will also take the 7" x 1-3/4" tire. Unfortunately the 8" tire does not fit the stock fork.

I'm not Northernliving, but I think you misinterpreted Matco's email. George said he no longer had the 7" tires to fit on the WHLTW37 wheel. He did say his 8" (200x50) tire fits the same wheel. So, I take that as the WHLTW37 wheel is still available... you just have to find the 7" tire elsewhere if you want that size.

The 6" tailwheel was not the subject of Matco's email, so you should still be able to get the WHLTW35 wheel, which is for the 6" tire.

Last edited:
noted

I'm not Northernliving, but I think you misinterpreted Matco's email. George said he no longer had the 7" tires to fit on the WHLTW37 wheel. He did say his 8" (200x50) tire fits the same wheel. So, I take that as the WHLTW37 wheel is still available... you just have to find the 7" tire elsewhere if you want that size.

The 6" tailwheel was not the subject of Matco's email, so you should still be able to get the WHLTW35 wheel, which is for the 6" tire.

hgerhardt,
I did misinterpret the e-mail on 7" vs 6".

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Daddyman

Use Caution with the Matco pneumatic tailwheel

14+ years ago I installed this exact Matco pneumatic tailwheel on my RV-8. I had to take to it off after a couple of flat tires due to a pinched tube (yes I was diligent keeping it inflated properly)

Here is a link my observations back in the day:

https://vansairforce.net/community/showpost.php?p=311104&postcount=16

I have subsequently been using the "lightweight" solid tailwheel from Van's for the last 1000 hours or so without problems.

Last edited:
Back