What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CS Pilot size

I was working on my -10 VS last night and got to a step where I needed to drill a #19 hole and countersink for a #8 bolt. I bought my tool set from Cleveland so I got my #8 CS and the pilot would not fit into the hole. I fiddles with it for a while and looked up the CS on Cleveland's web site. They state "CC8 - #19 drill size for #8 or 8-32 screw - Pilot size 0.166". I measured the pilot on MY CS and it was .197 . Could be a manufacturing error but was curious if anyone else has run into an issue like this. If it was a Mfg error I'd be surprised if I have the only bad one. For all I know it is something I am doing wrong.

I contacted Cleveland and waiting for a response but wanted to ping the group.

showmy.php

I was working on my -10 VS last night and got to a step where I needed to drill a #19 hole and countersink for a #8 bolt. I bought my tool set from Cleveland so I got my #8 CS and the pilot would not fit into the hole. I fiddles with it for a while and looked up the CS on Cleveland's web site. They state "CC8 - #19 drill size for #8 or 8-32 screw - Pilot size 0.166". I measured the pilot on MY CS and it was .197 . Could be a manufacturing error but was curious if anyone else has run into an issue like this. If it was a Mfg error I'd be surprised if I have the only bad one. For all I know it is something I am doing wrong.

I contacted Cleveland and waiting for a response but wanted to ping the group.

showmy.php

That's wierd. Even a 3/16 CS would be around .190" Must be a mfg error.

Side note

If you don't have a drill gage(s), get one. Also good for a quick/sanity check for exactly the kind of work what you're doing. If you get it from the Yard Store and they usually include a cardboard "quick guide" for drill index/dimensions/tap sizes/etc. Just a thought.

If you look at the link I posted you will see a picture of the CS with a caliper on the pilot. You can also see the CS is clearly marked 1/2x100x#8. I have a #10 and a #12 that are marked the same way, with the correct size. The #10 has a pilot slightly smaller that the #8. Maybe a few thou, can't remember the exact size of it. This is definitely for a #8 screw, as indicated on Cleveland's web site.

I haven't heard back from Cleveland, and I am at a stopping point, so I had to order a replacement from Spruce. I hate to have to buy it twice but hopefully I can get the bad one replaced and have a spare.

Cleveland sent you the wrong tool. Their part number is cc8, but it needs a #19 pilot for a #8 screw. In the video on Cleveland's countersink cutter page he is holding 3 cutters. The one on the left is stamped #19 as the pilot size and should have been what you got in the tool kit. I wanted to make sure Cleveland marked their cutter's the same way as others and the video confirms they do. Yours is stamped #8, and I'm not sure what size bolt you would use that for, since it's oversize for a 3/16" but undersize for a 1/4". Sorry you got the wrong one, hopefully the one you ordered from spruce comes marked as a #19.

Back