What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

CQ1 Headset now available with LEMO style plug

scard

Well Known Member
Advertiser
The CQ1 is now available with a 6 pin LEMO style airframe cable.
It is still the same great passive headset that does not utilize or need ship power and still weighs only 3.7oz in total. You won't currently find this option with the competition.

I know this announcement doesn't mean much to most of us, but we've found it to be very important to some customers. Who am I to say no? We listen to every customer whether they are flying a J3 or a B777 and everything in between. The CQ1 is not a stagnant product, but is continually revised and improved in every detail. I see no end to that commitment.

I recently heard a comment from a CQ1 customer: "I feel like it's perfectly balanced out of the box. I don't have to yell in the cub or the RV10, yet it feels perfectly natural in the Challenger jet."

In the last 12 months alone, just a couple externally obvious improvements include a significant advancement in our production molding in the frame and a new mic windscreen that we worked almost a year on and are very proud of. We knew the change in the mic windscreen would be a significant improvement in many environments, and it is. It is made in the USA from formaldehyde free foam that is a perfect match for our tiny microphone element that has an exceptionally low moment for movement during rapid head movement or aerobatics. The updated foam windscreen uses a new internal retention method that actually improves its performance and is nearly impossible to lose in the cockpit.

We have shipped CQ Headsets all over the world to every kind of pilot that you can imagine. So we push forward into 2021 and can't wait to see our extended family at Oshkosh again this year.

https://cqheadset.com

CQ1 LEMO style connector
CQ1_lemo_left5-M.jpg

We listen to every customer whether they are flying a J3 or a B777 and everything in between. The CQ1 is not a stagnant product, but is continually revised and improved in every detail. I see no end to that commitment.

Good job Scott.

Scott I just ordered a headset for my wife. Can I return it for one with a Lemo plug? I’m expecting good things from this headset. Im getting tired of the wife constantly messing with her halo. It should be here on Thursday. Order #1751.

Last edited:
Scott I just ordered a headset for my wife. Can I return it for one with a Lemo plug? I’m expecting good things from this headset. Im getting tired of the wife constantly messing with her halo. It should be here on Thursday. Order #1751.

Joe, you bet. We'll be in touch with how best to proceed.

LEMO CQ-1

Scott,

Just curious if there is an advantage to the LEMO plug vs standard G.A. plugs since the CQ-1 isn’t powered anyway. Mainly for builders that only installed a LEMO jack in the airplane?

Scott,

Just curious if there is an advantage to the LEMO plug vs standard G.A. plugs since the CQ-1 isn’t powered anyway. Mainly for builders that only installed a LEMO jack in the airplane?

No technical advantage at all. Yeah, I've seen enough RVs that have been built with only LEMO jacks that needed this option.

The response to this addition indicates that the need is far greater than we even realized.

Hi Scott,

Is there an audio quality difference in the different models of your headset? I saw on the website other advantages listed in the chart but nothing about earpiece audio or mic. I’m excited to try one out to replace my Lightspeed Zulu.

Cyrus,
We have a standard CQ1 with the mic on the left side, a model with the mic on the right side, and my favorite, a standard CQ1 in orange. Each are newly available with a LEMO style plug instead of the standard dual GA plugs. They all share the same components and design so will have the same audio characteristics.

The quality (and expense) of our critical components is part of what sets the CQ1 apart. That difference is easy to experience once you get one in your hands.

CQ progression

Well, I don’t fly with these type plugs but I always like to tell pilots what a great headset the CQ is for all kinds of flying. I have 2 and one that is referred to as an alien headset as it is one of the originals. And yes even it still delivers. I have been flying these headsets for many years now and it is great that they (Tanya & Scott) continue to improve these headsets. If you are looking for a handy and competitive headset I would encourage you to give these a try. If you have ever wondered or wanted a light, hard working headset I would tell you start with these headsets. You won’t be disappointed.

I was just reviewing the QT Halo site (I’ve used before in RV-8 with good results) and the Faro version. Primary use is in the 14A to allow brimmed sun protection hat to be worn but would like to use in the Super Legend cub as well. Thoughts on the CQ’s in these rolls would be helpful. Thanks.

Back