What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

EMS D-10 warning light

AN23

Well Known Member
I'm replacing a bunch of engine round gages with a Dynon EMS D-10. I'm in the final wiring stage now and I noticed there is an option to install a warning light that basically lets you know that an engine operating parameter has been exceeded. You then acknowledge it on the EMS and the light goes out.

I'd like to hear if any others have installed this and your thoughts on it's operation before I cut a hole in the new panel for the warning light. In a RV-8, it would seem to me that the panel is close enough that you would notice an alarm flashing on the EMS itself without having another light on the panel.

FWIW, I installed the light in my panel and think it was a good idea. Do you absolutely need it? Probably not. But it was such an easy thing to do and to me adds a tiny bit of additional safety so I felt it was worth it. Here is a photo of my panel where you can see the red external alarm light(s) above the display next to my tail number.

2021 Panel.jpg

BTW it works very well. ;)

Last edited:
Nice thing about the light is it brings your attention to the 'exception' your regular scan may skip, that's the whole purpose of having the monitor, let it work for you.

Pondered this too when I added an EMS-D10. Is the warning light really necessary when there’s probably going to be a message on the screen anyway?

Glad I went ahead and added the warning light. It’s helpful in formation or when you need to be heads-up.

Really gets your attention, so I make a point of briefing my passengers to avoid scaring them. But that might be less of an issue in an 8.

The problem comes when you have a sensor going bad, if it is impossible permanently to shut the thing up: now you have 2 things flashing the rest of the flight.

My original panel had an Advanced Flight Systems EMS (best EMS I have ever seen). It had a "Bitch'in Betty" oral warning and flashing both. Acknowledge button only shut the alert down for 3 minutes. Only way to completely shut it up, was to go into settings and change alert parameters.

The problem comes when you have a sensor going bad, if it is impossible permanently to shut the thing up: now you have 2 things flashing the rest of the flight.
IMHO Quickly alerting to a possible major catastrophic event overrides a temporary and tolerable inconvenience. YMMV

I used the indicator light circuit to add a buzzer in the cockpit. IIRC, there is also an alarm buzzer in the headphones or at least I hear the tone when the switch fuel tank buzzer goes off or something goes out of spec.

Back