What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

OSH gear next year

Dugaru

Well Known Member
Just back from OSH and already thinking about gear that works, that didn't, and improvements for next year. My observations, open to debate of course:

1. Tents: We're going to move to smaller tents, probably one tent per person. This was our second OSH where our larger car-camping type tents were at serious risk from winds out in the open, and we figure smaller/lower profile tents will be an improvement. We're also in search of better tent stakes, as our budget aluminum ones got badly bent by the wind.

2. Lighting: We loved these -- super lightweight, easy to pack, solar charged, very versatile -- can hang them or put them anywhere: https://www.rei.com/product/137939/goal-zero-crush-light-lantern.

3. Feet: in past years I've gone with running shoes, but after some time on the AT last summer I tried hiking mode - in my case, waterproof Merrell MOABs and merino wool socks. Not exactly a fashion statement but otherwise a huge improvement, especially when walking through wet grass or post-deluge puddles (which we have done a lot of). Meanwhile I'm prone to blisters and "hiker's wool" was the solution. Wrap some around your toes - outstanding. And while we're talking about wool, I boldly declare that summer weight merino wool underwear is worth the outrageous expense.

4. Hats: Lots of good options, but Henschels are made in the USA, are great in hot weather, and I love mine: https://www.hathabit.com/collections/outdoor-collection/products/henschel-original-aussie-breezer

5. Water: Saw numerous collapsible water bladders this year and couldn't believe we hadn't thought of that. Would have saved lots of trips to the wheeled water tanks. Would love thoughts on the best one.

6. Coolers: our cheapo styrofoam cooler was super light and surprisingly effective at keeping the Tito's cold, but just wasn't sufficiently durable. I'd love a recommendation for a (flexible?) cooler that packs small and light and performs reasonably well. Recognizing that this may be a unicorn.

7. Gadget charging: I'm late to this party, but discovered that those fabric-backed folding solar cell chargers are surprisingly good.

8. Bugs: we're thinking hard about bringing some sort of portable bug shelter next year. Evening temps were great for hanging out at the end of the day, but the noseeums in our corner of the South 40 were impressively fierce. You'd think they'd show some sympathy toward fellow aviators. A bug shelter could also make up somewhat for having cramped one-person tents.

Contrary views? Suggestions?

Just back from OSH and already thinking about gear that works, that didn't, and improvements for next year. My observations, open to debate of course:

1. Tents: We're going to move to smaller tents, probably one tent per person. This was our second OSH where our larger car-camping type tents were at serious risk from winds out in the open, and we figure smaller/lower profile tents will be an improvement. We're also in search of better tent stakes, as our budget aluminum ones got badly bent by the wind.

2. Lighting: We loved these -- super lightweight, easy to pack, solar charged, very versatile -- can hang them or put them anywhere: https://www.rei.com/product/137939/goal-zero-crush-light-lantern.

3. Feet: in past years I've gone with running shoes, but after some time on the AT last summer I tried hiking mode - in my case, waterproof Merrell MOABs and merino wool socks. Not exactly a fashion statement but otherwise a huge improvement, especially when walking through wet grass or post-deluge puddles (which we have done a lot of). Meanwhile I'm prone to blisters and "hiker's wool" was the solution. Wrap some around your toes - outstanding. And while we're talking about wool, I boldly declare that summer weight merino wool underwear is worth the outrageous expense.

4. Hats: Lots of good options, but Henschels are made in the USA, are great in hot weather, and I love mine: https://www.hathabit.com/collections/outdoor-collection/products/henschel-original-aussie-breezer

5. Water: Saw numerous collapsible water bladders this year and couldn't believe we hadn't thought of that. Would have saved lots of trips to the wheeled water tanks. Would love thoughts on the best one.

6. Coolers: our cheapo styrofoam cooler was super light and surprisingly effective at keeping the Tito's cold, but just wasn't sufficiently durable. I'd love a recommendation for a (flexible?) cooler that packs small and light and performs reasonably well. Recognizing that this may be a unicorn.

7. Gadget charging: I'm late to this party, but discovered that those fabric-backed folding solar cell chargers are surprisingly good.

8. Bugs: we're thinking hard about bringing some sort of portable bug shelter next year. Evening temps were great for hanging out at the end of the day, but the noseeums in our corner of the South 40 were impressively fierce. You'd think they'd show some sympathy toward fellow aviators. A bug shelter could also make up somewhat for having cramped one-person tents.

Contrary views? Suggestions?

For the bugs, look up Thermacell on Amazon. We had one with us and it worked extremely well.

For tents, shop at REI. Their selection of backpacking tents is very appropriate for Oshkosh. The biggest issue with backpacking tents is the low dome height, which is great against wind. But awful for getting dressed.

I have a 3 person MSR tent that is great for 2 people.

On coolers, I've searched high and wide for a better solution than the Styrofoam coolers. My experience is that the ice melts in under a day, and I'd love to find one which kept ice for 30 hours as opposed to 20 hours. In 2019 I tried wrapping a Styrofoam cooler with a space blanket, and didn't see any improvement. We do keep the coolers under the shade of the airplane, but... OTOH, I haven't had any durability issues with them. Mine sits on a shelf in the hangar when it's not out flying and has lasted 10+ years. I'm sure a Yeti or equivalent would be great, but I'm not investing the money or useful load in something like that.

Feet? I wear Teva's when it is wet out. Comfortable, and double as shower shoes.

Charging? I have one of those brick chargers I charge at the HBC pavillion during the day and use to recharge our devices overnight.

Coolers and tent stakes

For several years, I bought a cheap Styrofoam cooler when I arrived at OSH after traveling by the airlines and a rental car. Had to buy ice every day and didn't feel good about leaving it in the trash when the week was over.
Started flying in and used a thick Styrofoam cooler like that beef company in Nebraska ships their frozen steaks in. Filled it full of camping stuff for the trip and then used it as a cooler when we arrived at OSH. A bag of ice lasted at least two days if the cooler was kept out of the sun.

Have gone to tent stakes like this https://www.harborfreight.com/10-inch-steel-tent-stakes-set-of-six-96534.html Previously tried 10 inch spikes from the lumber yard, but they rusted while in the ground and dirt stuck to them. These plated stakes come out of the ground clean and haven't corroded.

I use orange screws for stakes. Here is the link:

https://www.orangescrew.com/

The night we were awaken twice with warnings of storms I was not concerned about my tent blowing away. I was only concerned about poles breaking. So I was standing up with my back to the north side of the tent to stabilize it. I have a stand up tent.

Thanks for your tips, lights and towel on the wish list!

We have a Walmart faux-yeti cooler that we use as luggage in transit, keeps purchased ice for two days at the destination.

We have been very happy with these lights https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XM8HTIS/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Screen Shot 2021-07-29 at 4.55.30 PM.jpg

Towel https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01A4ZXYA8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pillow
https://www.mypillow.com/rollandgoanywherepillow-66off.html

Tent
https://www.campmor.com/products/al...MI7c7Unb6J8gIVRm5vBB3PHgM1EAQYAyABEgLEX_D_BwE

Stakes
https://www.amazon.com/MSR-Groundho...f24e5&pd_rd_wg=DvIIW&pd_rd_i=B098NSM2BM&psc=1

The towel works quite differently as the micro fiber tends to somewhat drag against your body but it is quite effective at water removal and retention. Also dries very fast.

The roll and go pillow is what I use in the bed at home I like it so much. It rolls into its pillow case, at about 12"x4" and easily stuffs into an odd shaped cavity while packing the plane.

Tent has never had water intrusion, withstood rather high winds and has a vestibule on the two entries allowing for some protected storage. It is recommended to use a footprint under the tent for protection which I always have.

Stakes are light weight and are very highly rated in reviews.

This was my first time attending and I learned that I need to get better gear for next year. I think the low profile tent is def the way to go mine was tall and caught too much wind and leaked water. I have been looking at some different REI models as a replacement.

I was very happy with my tie down system for the airplane using The Claw https://www.aircraftspruce.com/catalog/pspages/claw.php . This thing had my plane tied down rock solid.

However, I would like a better solution for a rudder gust lock. I was using an AirGizmos universal gust lock and it did get a little loose from the strong wind at one point and I had to retighten. I would like to find a good solution that locks the pedals from inside the plane.

Overall my gear was too large and took up way too much space and weight in the plane. I was solo for this trip but next year plan to bring my wife so we will be looking for compact and lighter weight replacement gear solutions.

Rudder gust lock

My row of planes at HBC were all parked noses to the East, so the strong storm winds from the west were hitting my tail first. Had just bought the Antisplat rudder gust lock (an upgrade from my DIY pvc tubing control stick/rudder lock), and was really glad. Allan Nimmo did a great job designing this robust gust lock. It held tight through the 45 mph winds we got/ microbursts.
Cal

Attachments

• BA92C986-D4A8-4B24-8E33-12DACE03C104.jpg
    BA92C986-D4A8-4B24-8E33-12DACE03C104.jpg
    124.8 KB · Views: 163
A few small things that are handy:
… Length of line for a clothesline
… Handful of clothespins
… Earplugs
… Tent “footprint” ground sheet. Can cut one from a blue tarp. Make it a bit smaller than the tent floor so it doesn’t sheet water under the tent floor.

I don't know what you use on the AT for your tent, but I use the Big Agnes II. I have weathered a few nasty wind and rain storms in northern GA (on the trail )with it and no issues. It has an extra set of guy lines for and aft that makes it a bit more streamlined and aerodynamic. Works great !

Had good luck this year with a MountainSmith Genesee 4-person tent, ample room & height, easy set-up, and weathered the Wednesday night storm with zero issues.

Had good luck this year with a MountainSmith Genesee 4-person tent, ample room & height, easy set-up, and weathered the Wednesday night storm with zero issues.

same tent, but three person version. Stayed completely dry on Monday night.

I don't know what you use on the AT for your tent, but I use the Big Agnes II. I have weathered a few nasty wind and rain storms in northern GA (on the trail )with it and no issues. It has an extra set of guy lines for and aft that makes it a bit more streamlined and aerodynamic. Works great !

Big Agnes II is fantastic, I have a Hubba-Hubba two man hiker. My sons hiking wx art the REI's but the Hubba Hubba has lasted for 8 yrs so far, mountain exposed winds/snow and all. Mine did not leak a drop in all the OSH2019 winds and rain. It is short on dry entry room though.

+1 for clothes line and pins for towels and dry footwear for heavy dew/grass.

Deet and spray-on sun screen for this paleface.

Polar bear soft cooler

I LOVE my Polar Bear soft cooler, I’ve had it for 6-7 years and use it weekly. It’s lightweight and dimensionally fits just about anywhere in my RV7 slider usually the baggage area or passenger floor. Also keeps ice for days and on par with the best coolers. Extremely durable, I can’t count how many times I’ve abused it by overfilling it, tumbling off the golf cart at 15 mph, ran over it once with my Camry......

https://polarbearcoolers.com/products/original-24-pack-soft-cooler

I do a fair amount of backpacking in high wind and can comfirm that most of the tents at REI made for backpacking will hold up to wind nicely. One area however where people generally fail when purchasing tents is not looking for one with a "tub" bottom. The seams of a tub tent are about 5 inches above the ground. You will not get water in with a tent like this. I personally have the REI quarter dome 1, a Kelty 2 person, and a Mountain Hardware 4 person. My personal favorite is the quarter dome. My dad has some of the more expensive brands like Big Agnes and to be honest I don't notice a difference enough to justify the cost.

For stakes I recommend these. They will not let you down. I have used these bad boys in some serious storms before and they don't budge. Very lightweight and very nicely made. Highly recommend!

Next year I will be bringing a cooler with some steaks! Them grills sure looked worthy of one. :)

tub bottom tent

I have this tent because my wife was with me in 2019. she didn't want to come this year because she doesn't like the heat. it was warm thru Wednesday. I used this tent because I was there all week and I liked it. more room and it has a tub bottom. I monitored the tent with a flashlight during the storm while laying on the air mattress. not a drop of water ingress. I was lucky. if my wife was with me I would have sought better cover but I live for adventure. :) I later found a red "I" so I put it on my wingtip after the storm. it probably stands for lucky idiot.

the downside is this tent is heavy, 35 lb. the rainfly was biased towards the North. I think that helped a lot.

IMG_20210729_112321.jpg

IMG_20210728_153734.jpg

download.png

IMG_20210729_113748.jpg

IMG_20210729_112405.jpg

Last edited:
Back