What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Looking for some info on Lasar ignition system

vinzer

Well Known Member
Hello everyone!

Merry Christmas!

I got some serviceable (removed from flying airplane with Lycoming IO540) Lasar Electronic Ignition model LC-1A11-15 with two Slicks 6770 and 6776. While knowing that this is an old and no longer reasonably supported system I want to little dig in to it and see what can be done with it for my RV10 project.

I am looking for any documentation you may share for this system as I have no documents at all. I am interested in manual, connection diagrams, etc. Separately I want to figure about timing advance adjustment as it may require additional equipment (but I think it can be done without if proper schematic diagram is available).

Thank you!
Vlad
;)

Vlad, send me your email via a PM.

I have a PDF of the lasar manual I can send to you.

As far as I know, one of the only places left to work on Lasar is AeroSport Power in Kamloops BC.

Yes, it does take a specific tool for setting the timing.

I have a complete system with a bad sensor mag if you are interested in getting spare parts. Includes the timing tool.

If you can get hold of him, Joe Louge at Champion is the best knowledge base on Lasar, pretty sure he was in on the development of the system.

Last edited:
Just a note for Mike. Joe Logie retired and was no longer at Champion. I found out at AirVenture 2021 when he as not at the booth.

Vlad, send me your email via a PM.

I have a PDF of the lasar manual I can send to you.

As far as I know, one of the only places left to work on Lasar is AeroSport Power in Kamloops BC.

Yes, it does take a specific tool for setting the timing.

I have a complete system with a bad sensor mag if you are interested in getting spare parts. Includes the timing tool.

If you can get hold of him, Joe Louge at Champion is the best knowledge base on Lasar, pretty sure he was in on the development of the system.

Mike,
Do you have a T-300 Tool ?

LASAR timing tool

Pretty sure the LASAR T-300 timing tool works for both 4 and 6 cylinder engines. It is only looking for TDC (cylinder 1) and points open/close positions during crankshaft rotation. It doesn’t know or care about the number of cylinders. Also, the T-300 is the only timing tool mentioned in any of the LASAR docs.

Back