What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Fiberglass Tool Trifecta

mulde35d

Well Known Member
Friend
I must say, I have gone through a lot of sandpaper while working on fiberglass, but no more. Decided to try a couple new tools and must admit that these 3 tools in combination with each other are absolutely spectacular.

Dremel Saw-Max: Cuts through fiberglass like butter. has so much torque it twists in your hand when it starts (start it off the workpiece) and never gets bogged down in the cut.

Oscillating tool (Dewalt): with 60 grit sandpaper this thing shaves down edges like a champ.

Permagrit Wedge Block: Just like sandpaper wrapped around a 2x4 but doesn't wear out (hasn't yet at least) and doesn't scrape up your hand over time like the stuff wrapped around a 2x4.

Highly recommend these 3 tools for fiberglass work.

Attachments

• Tools 1.jpg
    Tools 1.jpg
    765.4 KB · Views: 267
Nice.

I've discovered that if I use conventional wrap-around sanding blocks much, I cannot use my fingerprint scanner to log into my MacBook until the ridges on my fingertip grow back. :eek:

I agree, I found my Milwaukee oscillating tool to be absolutely invaluable in redoing my wheel pants recently.

Tools

I use them as well. Plus my Ryobi Angle Grinder with a cut off wheel, Ryobi Random Orbital (two) and Dremel.
I keep two grits on the random orbitals so I dont have to fish.

Diamond grit

If you add diamond grit blades to your oscillating tool then watch the white stuff fly. Gets into the corners and lasts longer than sandpaper as well.

Back