What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Memphis to Reno

ChuckGant

Well Known Member
We are heading to the Reno air races this weekend. Looking for advice on routing and lunch stops along the way. Our initial plan is to go from Memphis through OKC, ABQ and the up over Vegas to Reno.
Any suggestions for places to stop.

I was also thinking about going further north and maybe stopping in Leadville just to say I’ve been there but I’ve never gone over the mountains up there. Concerned about turbulence and lack of O2.

We also considered flying by the Grand Canyon.
Any suggestions are appreciated.
Thanks,
Chuck

Your routing plan through ABQ, Vega, Reno works fine…but be advised that we are now having a very significant smoke event here in the Carson City/Reno area - visibility less than a mile - from a fire burning west of Tahoe. A couple of guys from Illinois in an RV-6 spent the night with me here in Dayton last night after squeeking in just before it got really bad here - they couldn’t see Carson City (their planned destination) from a mile out. Aviation forecasts do a really lousy job of predicting smoke, so you need to check the smoke web sites when you get within a few hundred miles. Here’s one site:

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#9.34/38.9805/-120.1148

The good news is that I just saw some pictures from Stead, and they are flying there, not looking terrible….yet…..

Paul

Reno route

You can do the ABQ route, I’ve done it many times.. a popular fuel stop is SJN, but looks like KSOW has the cheapest fuel now.. as for the Grand Canyon, google the internet for the routes. https://aerosavvy.com/flying-grand-canyon/

You can make waypoints and be sure to fly the appropriate altitudes and also self announce yourself.

I prefer the I-80 route myself. It goes though Cheyenne, Rawlings, Rock springs, and comes out by Provo Canyon. It looks like the terrain is high and intimidating on the chart, but in real life, you have that long straight highway (I80) under you the whole time. It’s very safe IMO. If you do that one, stop into Wendover by the Bonniville Salt Flats (after doing some speed runs down the track of course) Just watch the restricted areas.

Keep in mind that you won’t be able to land at Stead for the reno air races. You’ll have to land at RNO or Carson City.

Wow. I didn’t even think about smoke. Than you very much for the info Paul.

Thanks for the info Tom.

Wow. I didn’t even think about smoke. Than you very much for the info Paul.

Thanks for the info Tom.

I will say the smoke has been in waves, though, so depending on timing you could get lucky, just depends a lot on winds that day. First thing in the morning seems to have been best the last couple days. Of course if you're IFR you can always shoot the ILS into Reno and ensure you get in. When fires are west of Tahoe, Carson does tend to have more smoke on a consistent basis than Reno for some reason. They also don't have a precision approach. Hope you're able to make it!

Route

Watch out for the temperatures. This morning was the first cool morning in at least three weeks and the high temps go all the way to KC area. ABQ is a good routing for no oxygen. it can be done as far as Vegas as low as 8500'
If you wanted to go a bit north Dalhart has a great restaurant. Many of the others did not survive Covid. Kingman restaurant is open but I don't know the hours. Havasu has a good restaurant just a bit to the south.
Not many places around here with good fuel prices. I just pick the most convienent airports.
Santa Fe has self serve and may have a restaurant.
Winslow is a good stop.
Kingman "
A20 and Havasu both have self serve.
If you go a bit west of Vegas Pahrump and Hawthorne are good stops. Food a short walk in Hawthorne.
If you plan to park at Reno you need to get there as early as possible. Leaving the plane at Carson is much better.

Standard warning: The rocks are very high out here and density altitude is a real thing (even in the fall). Be sure to understand what that means and how to operate in it (for example - possibly leaning for takeoff, expecting half your normal takeoff/climb performance, etc.). Watch the winds aloft forecast when over the mountains. If over 50kts @18,000, expect it to be turbulent - depending on your location, this may be a no-fly day.

If you're going to fly super high and in the middle of the day, routing doesn't matter too much as can't see anything anyway. If you are going to be airborne early when the light is good and get down where you can see the sights… Nothing wrong with taking the northern (I-80) or southern (I-40) routes but the sightseeing is really great between the two. A direct route (M41-RNO) takes you over some really nice sights.

- Anything over Canyonlands is nice. This is very generally the entire southeast corner of Utah (the U64, HVE, 1L7 area).
- Lake Power is nice (U96, U07 area).
- Bryce Canyon (BCE) is very nice in early morning light.
- Some folks like Monument Valley (0V7) but it isn't very interesting compared to what is available in Canyonlands.

I can give you some specific points of interest if interested and you choose this route.

If your camping:
- RAF has done really nice work at Escalante (1L7). There is a shower, pilots lounge, fuel, camping spots, microwave, BBQ, coffee, etc.
- Ibex dry lake is on your path at 38.981406, -113.369913. Nothing there but miles and miles of dry lake.

Getting to Reno

I flew yesterday following I-80, from KSNY to KBTF to KSPZ. 10.5k the majority of the time, visibility was around 20 miles but hazy. Stopped by the reducing visibility and rain forecast over the mountains. Looks like I'm stuck by the smoke and haze for another day, then over the mountains to the bay area. Having O2 helped out spending a few hours at 10.5.
Good luck and enjoy,

Gary

Route

OP stated no O2. The ABQ route seems the best considering lack of O2. That route can be flown from AMA to Bullhead City area at 8500' with some deviations for terrain around ABQ and Grants.
Consideration should be give to very short survival time in the desert in worst case scenario. Two gallons water per person and some survival food and survival equipment is highly recommended.
Afternoon temperatures in the 115 range until today when the rain cooled it down some.

FYI - Reno/Stead just went to an AQI of 310-424. Anything over 100 is considered unhealthy. I’m sitting here in Dayton (19 miles east of Carson City) with an AQI of 400 right now, and can see about half a mile…..

So….no idea what the rest of the week is going to be like, but was just told all planes are grounded at Stead at this time due to the smoke.

Paul

For your OKC route I highly recommend going a little farther west to Weatherford (KOJA) and visit the Tom Stafford Air and Space Museum. Allow yourself at least three hours for the visit - there’s a lot to see! I believe with your EAA or AOPA card you can get free admission to the museum. This hidden jewel is one of the best air and space museums I’ve seen and I’ve visited quite a few.

100LL is also $5.75/gal. Call ahead and you can get an airport car for driving to one of the excellent local restaurants. You won’t regret this stop!

Standard warning: The rocks are very high out here and density altitude is a real thing (even in the fall). Be sure to understand what that means and how to operate in it (for example - possibly leaning for takeoff, expecting half your normal takeoff/climb performance, etc.). Watch the winds aloft forecast when over the mountains. If over 50kts @18,000, expect it to be turbulent - depending on your location, this may be a no-fly day.

If you're going to fly super high and in the middle of the day, routing doesn't matter too much as can't see anything anyway. If you are going to be airborne early when the light is good and get down where you can see the sights… Nothing wrong with taking the northern (I-80) or southern (I-40) routes but the sightseeing is really great between the two.

This is excellent advice. Both routes can be done without O2, but if you can find a portable system to borrow I strongly recommend it. Even if not at required altitudes, having good O2 saturation for a long day of flying greatly reduces fatigue.

To avoid turbulence, and avoid the need to go high to avoid it, plan on early morning departures when the wind forecast (at FL180) is reasonable.

Be safe ... and hope the smoke gets out of there for the rest of the week!

Peter

Smoke in Reno

Hey Paul, any update on the smoke conditions at Reno? Seeing some of the forecasts, I'm getting a bit concerned about flying to Reno today?

Thanks!

I'm not at home right now, but my daughter and her pup in Reno planned on sleeping next to the portable air purifier last night. The worst of the smoke is reportedly from Truckee to north Reno.

I'm not at home right now, but my daughter and her pup in Reno planned on sleeping next to the portable air purifier last night. The worst of the smoke is reportedly from Truckee to north Reno.

The sun just came up here in Dayton, and the sky is not pretty. It would be stretching it to say we’ve got three miles visibility here, maybe 2.5. Our AQI is showing 270, and Stead right now is 290. AQI isn’t directly associated with visibility, but its a good approximation.

The place to check is PurpleAir:

https://map.purpleair.com/1/mAQI/a10/p604800/cC0#9.04/39.4323/-119.6333

I don’t know if they’re flying up there this morning or not - have feelers out on text but haven’t heard yet.

It’s a “pick-em” predicting what its going to do on an hourly basis, but big picture, I’d guess this will be with us for several more days…..

Paul

Last edited:
Smoke in Reno

Mike and Paul, many thanks for the smoke update. I’m looking at the live YouTube feed at the airport right now and it looks like really bad haze. Can’t see any of the hills, etc. CXP is also forecast to be IFR all day (where we were planning to fly into.

Really disappointed….was really looking forward to flying up. Always enjoy Reno. Take care and stay safe…

RENO

RARA is requiring six miles vis for racing. Stead is currently 4 miles. Reno Intl forecast for a four hour window of six miles starting at noon then below six again.

RENO

Stead went down to 3 miles and the few spectators that were there have mostly gone home. Two Formula One heat races today if I read it correctly and a lot of wasted time.

Back