What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Aerosport Center Console w/flat Alum. Instrument Panel?

DavidP2020

Well Known Member
On my RV-10, I'm planning the Aerosport center console with throttle quadrant, but considering having a flat aluminum instrument panel instead of the Aerosport 310 Panel.

If anyone has done this, could you provide pics and insight on how you did the transition between the center console and the instrument panel?

Thanks!

Great question

This question is very timely as I would like to do the same along with the quadrant just forward of the console.

David I suggest you carefully evaluate why you want a console or quadrant in your RV-10. In my experience, these complicate the build, follow on maintenance and takes up unnecessary space. The RV-10 panel is big enough to house whatever your wallet can tolerate.

Happy to discuss. My phone number sent via PM.

Carl

Tunnel accessibility for future maintenance?

Not an issue. There are a couple simple mods that maintenance a breeze. I’ve been flying for almost ten years.

1. Cut the tunnel cover at the fuel selector area. This allows the removal of the tunnel cover aft of the lower console.

2. Dave Ward sells a tunnel access panel kit. I have one on the right side of the tunnel. I haven’t felt the need to have one on both sides. It allows access to the fuel filter. It’s not a big deal to remove and clean through the access tunnel.

Tunnel access

Not an issue.
The whole tunnel top lifts off and moves sideways giving plenty of access to check the controls and plumbing.
I have an access panel in the passenger footwell for the fuel pump.
I have aero lab filters elsewhere so the only access I need is to put a spanner on everything once a year.
I didn’t even feel the need to cut the tunnel lid. Access would be trivial if so.

Thanks!

Thank you for the posts. I appreciate all of the feedback and good questions. Carl, I can certainly appreciate the KISS concept, and I'm applying it in as much of my build as possible. I like the idea of the throttle quadrant because most of my time has been in airplanes in the Air Force and airlines that have had them.

Richard, I'll study your photo and description. It looks good! I assume you installed aluminum panels forward of your carbon fiber part on the sides?

I do have the Ward tunnel access panel kit that I'll use on one side. My fuel filters will be in the wing roots. Thanks guys for the other tips on accessing the tunnel.

Any other pics?

If anyone else has done the Aerosport center console with throttle quadrant and a flat instrument panel, I'd love to see pics to get an idea of the different options.

Thanks!

That will be my config but I am not there yet. My plan is to make a carbon fiber transition from the armrest with integrated quadrant to the tunnel cover.
I haven't decided yet whether I want to run the cables on top of the tunnel which would need a flat cover from the armrest to somewhere under the panel or whether I want to make the cables enter the tunnel in which case I just need a transition from the center console down to the tunnel lid.
I am using wing root fuel filters.

Martin, You may consider a PM to Richard Connell. He has some great pics of his carbon fiber transition and how he did it.

Martin, You may consider a PM to Richard Connell. He has some great pics of his carbon fiber transition and how he did it.
As far as I can see, David C made his own center console similar to the 310 panel, I am planning on not obstructing the room over the tunnel with anything but maybe a shallow tray. So either a flat tray that covers the cables running on top of the tunnel or I will get the cables underneath the tunnel cover as quickly as possible and just make a sloped transition from the arm rest to the cover.

Back