What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Installing Skyview harness

jimgreen

Well Known Member
Just preparing to install a harness for a Skyview and a bit dismayed by a mess of twisted pairs, many of which I won't be using.
I'd like to keep it tidy and minimise the number of butt splices. Quite a few wires I won't be using, such as the contacts and a couple of rs232 inputs. I don't want to cut them off as they might be needed at some point, but they are pretty bulky.
I'm hoping someone can point me at a good thread or a build blog.
Thanks

Hi Jim.

I may have a solution to your problem, but I am on vacation right now.
In my archives, I may have a Skyview wiring hub, similar to the one shown below. That’s the potentially good news. The bad news is I am on vacation (currently Thetis Island) and won’t be back for three weeks. If you can wait that long, this is a solution to all your SkyView wiring problems.

64A2D97F-981F-481D-84C9-185D4C7A5AC0.jpg

Schematic with example: http://www.vx-aviation.com/sprocket/photos/panel_elec/schematics-2/EFIS.pdf

If I have one, no charge. If I have to order more, we’ll discuss. I hope you can wait.

Vern

Nothing wrong with depinning the wires in the D37 connector you will not be using to reduce the number of dead ends. You can always add them back as needed for future changes.

I made my own harness with point-to-point wiring and no splices. Be sure to label the wires for your specific use as you go along. You can get the D37 connector, sockets, backshell, and wire from SteinAir.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

I just coiled up the unused wires behind the panel with zip ties.
I did have one problem where a wire end was touching structure, grounding a circuit, so wrap the ends of the unused wires with electrical tape.

I terminated most of the wires from the Skyview to a terminal block like this
TB-12-TERMINAL-BLOCK-L-DSC00380.jpg

The few wires I did not use were zip tied into the bundle. Since I had 2 screens each screen wire went to one of the screws and the wire going to remote device was attached to the other. It should help when I want to make any modifications in the future.

I met a guy on here who also makes his own SkyView hubs. It has d sub connections for the screens, inputs, outputs, gps, transponder, autopilot, ext. It makes it extremely easy to add another display in the future and really cleans up the wiring. I have not flown yet but al avionics are in and working. It is the most complete hub I have seen although I havent seen very many. I can give you his contact info if interested.

SkyView Hub

I am the one who the previous post was talking about.

Below is a picture of my hub. It is a nice simple low cost plug in play board.

1623B1D1-7644-48DC-8F49-A68629F21E03.jpeg

The board is 5” X 5”, and with the mount, it is 5 1/2” X 6 1/2”.

I make them in Red, Blue, and Black. I also make them one at a time when needed.

Brian

Nothing wrong with depinning the wires in the D37 connector you will not be using to reduce the number of dead ends. You can always add them back as needed for future changes.

I made my own harness with point-to-point wiring and no splices. Be sure to label the wires for your specific use as you go along. You can get the D37 connector, sockets, backshell, and wire from SteinAir.

John Salak
RV-12 N896HS

Kept some wires for future upgrades. Unpinned the rest and kept for later. Easy to add back in the future. Hubs and terminal blocks have a purpose but add weight and failure points.

Thanks for the replies. Verne, check your PMs.
It's actually turning out to be a lot simpler than I thought. Having just installed the Dynon intercom harness which is quite bulky I was wondering where I was going to coil all the efis wire.
BTW although the intercom supports two radios, the harness they sell is for one com radio only. They don't tell you that. However if you call support they help you with a work-around.

Hey Verne, i just found you don't take PMs so perhaps let me know when you are back in town. two 50 seven52 seven440

I did this with both the EMS and EFIS harnesses. I recently added a heated pitot and just had to find the right colored wire for the EMS contact line for heated pitot status. It was easy to slide the wire in and get it hooked up.

On the EMS side, there are about 25 wires that are shared if you have dual screens. When I built the airplane I used a 25 pin D-sub hub to connect up the EFIS wires, then distribute them out of hub to their various other destinations/connections. When I added a second EFIS screen, I just connected up the same wires from the second screen into another 25 pin D-sub connector and plugged it into the hub.

Post #6 also refers to this hub. I have one and while I don't have it fully loaded yet, it's been great to work with.

ouy.jpg

Dynon also makes a hub, but theirs doesn't have the special autopilot dsub connectors.

Dave

Back