What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (7/31/21 - 8/1/21)?

Saturday, a little post OSH 4ship action.
IMG_1335-M.jpg

Sunday, the post OSH wash down from the "dust storm" in HBC.
IMG_1337-M.jpg

Cleans up ok for 14yrs and 2300hrs.
IMG_1339-M.jpg

Normally I work weekends relaxed schedule and better pay. Boss said I have too much OT take a day off and go fly :D

This is not New Jersey it takes full tanks to patrol the territory. Talked to a fellow RVator in the air thanks for pirep Mike. The Horseshoe Canyon wasn't bumpy.

Kingfisher_Canyon_-_1.jpeg

Desolation Canyon was smooth as well. Hundreds of rafters.

patrol_-_1_(1).jpeg

Martian folks went to Earth for the weekend.

patrol_-_1_(2).jpeg

Hite was a bit turbulent that's why it says Hazardous on the sectional.

patrol_-_1_(3).jpeg

patrol_-_1_(4).jpeg

Flew Forrest Gump approach to a grocery store in an Indian Reservation. The produce was fresh and mutton reasonably priced at Goulding Trading Post.

patrol_-_1_(5).jpeg

Dodged some T-storms on the way home.

patrol_-_1_(6).jpeg

patrol_-_1_(7).jpeg

Cleans up ok for 14yrs and 2300hrs.
Scottski man where time goes... Seems like yesterday I was following your excellent built log for 22C. It saved me many many days during my RV building...

Scottski man where time goes... Seems like yesterday I was following your excellent built log for 22C. It saved me many many days during my RV building...

Good times for sure. Time marches on. There are over a decade of RV builders among us that know not of what you speak :).

Hopefully soon to be uncovered and moved to shop center! (OSH resets my brain each year.)
IMG_1341-M.jpg

Worked on empennage attachment. Got as far as the elevators (cursing the installation of the elevator horn washers) and on the drive home remembered that I hadn't rerouted the manual trim cable yet. Sigh... I'm not undoing all that final torquing and sealing. Gonna have to crawl into the aft fuselage again. Took a mental health break Sunday.
AM-JKLVSGlchR3C1UDvmDu2826ALfIPk00wXbh3ZyFemxIAONkAZFFhLsdlPMcsJpD17X3YUrtcPPdorhx-0NSHMnhTmfMc8IvQW95_8J5MHBZHGOXKfTTQef0BIJnQTQvV5zy5kakS6KcG0tx-tSdQAqe98=w900-h600

AM-JKLVItfpPOgPmJ-fKphFGOVrHovJVFLErfH7kEJtQuGboSPqbR87aJiUbMW59z4JY9mS6P5wOWRYYggwaOfTrxwA37EJ44pKdl9POTW0yJ433PUJrJtkvajE7T7_Jkcb270fQCXNT5Wi9SHO35ePYyHbi=w900-h600

Sunday, the post OSH wash down from the "dust storm" in HBC.

Same here. Let's hope the loop road gets some permanent pavement.

Baby turned 1000, so an oil change too.

Attachments

• 1000 hours.jpg
    1000 hours.jpg
    50.5 KB · Views: 275
Did some smoke surfing to get back home from Osh. Had to take a southern route into Iowa and Nebraska to avoid IFR visibility.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    114 KB · Views: 277
Osh Gosh

Returned to the hangar after being "enlightened" by all the Osh forums. Made a rework plan on the drive home to reroute my comm antenna wires away from the canbus per Garmin forum. Looked at the task in the plane; naw not going to happen, the way it is will be fine; trust me. Paraphrasing John Steinbeck: "some of the best laid plans of mice and mechanics, often go astray when reality hits". Ok, I made up that last part.

Spent the rest of the time laying in the pitot, static and AoA tubing. At Osh, I had the Garmin rep review my G3X schematics. Took about 30 min after hours and the verdict was they saw nothing wrong with my schematic. I am good to go. Plan to buck the sub panel rivets this week; and it aint coming out after that.

After looking at Vlad's picture above, I am reminded of another quote," There comes a time in every project to shot the engineers and start production."

Last edited:
More Flight test; Bar Harbor, Maine

Went up Saturday for more "Possible Turn" testing and practiced landing at lower speeds.
The lower speeds are really helping my Short Field landing technique.

Finally a sunny day so Rosanne and I flew up to Bar Harbor Main to try out
a lobster roll at Lunt's Lobster Shack a short walk from the airport. Great day
though a bit hazy. Quick one hour flight up and slightly over an hour back. 185 miles.
The coastline of Maine is fascinating...endless islands of all shapes and sizes.
A mariner could easily - very easily - get lost in a fog.

I also learned that having ADS-B In is sort of a mixed blessing. Yes you see the
airplanes around you and can watch what they are doing, and on a hazy day like
this it's hard to see them with the eye; but it's clear some of them are totally
unaware of you and do the strangest things when near you....

Attachments

• To_BHB.png
    To_BHB.png
    176 KB · Views: 244
  • Return.png
    Return.png
    292.8 KB · Views: 306
Last edited:
Crystal blue skies in NYC. Amazing we get to do this.

Attachments

• 029D3CF4-03F8-4BB5-B53C-33085B526F08.jpg
    029D3CF4-03F8-4BB5-B53C-33085B526F08.jpg
    534.9 KB · Views: 303
  • DFBABA91-8B27-4DC7-B36F-855EEC77D7EC.jpeg
    DFBABA91-8B27-4DC7-B36F-855EEC77D7EC.jpeg
    600.8 KB · Views: 276
Screened Porch

We're building a screened porch while waiting 2+ months for the wings to arrive. It will be 7 months from order date of Feb 1 2021.

There's still so much wildfire induced haze that flying the Arrow just isn't a great time.

Oshkosh

Normally I work weekends relaxed schedule and better pay. Boss said I have too much OT take a day off and go fly :D

After 32 years of not being at Oshkosh and returning this year… no thanks… wish I was with Vlad in the middle of… who cares…

Saturday, flew from Wisconsin along the Lake Michigan shoreline past Chicago to Knoxville. Bumpy under the clouds to fuel stop in northern Indians, then IFR at 7000 then 9000 above the clouds. Gap in the storms this morning, Smokies not obscured (in case of engine failure), so IFR direct to Savannah at 9,000, above most of the clouds, nice ride. Plane is empty, car is empty, nothing put away at home or in the hangar, but the laundry is started.

Back when I was at that point, I was super smart and machined some very pretty aluminum spacers for the elevator bellcrank. Then I dropped one. Can't use a magnetic pickup tool on the aluminum, of course....

Worked on empennage attachment. Got as far as the elevators (cursing the installation of the elevator horn washers) and on the drive home remembered that I hadn't rerouted the manual trim cable yet. Sigh... I'm not undoing all that final torquing and sealing. Gonna have to crawl into the aft fuselage again. Took a mental health break Sunday.
AM-JKLVSGlchR3C1UDvmDu2826ALfIPk00wXbh3ZyFemxIAONkAZFFhLsdlPMcsJpD17X3YUrtcPPdorhx-0NSHMnhTmfMc8IvQW95_8J5MHBZHGOXKfTTQef0BIJnQTQvV5zy5kakS6KcG0tx-tSdQAqe98=w900-h600

AM-JKLVItfpPOgPmJ-fKphFGOVrHovJVFLErfH7kEJtQuGboSPqbR87aJiUbMW59z4JY9mS6P5wOWRYYggwaOfTrxwA37EJ44pKdl9POTW0yJ433PUJrJtkvajE7T7_Jkcb270fQCXNT5Wi9SHO35ePYyHbi=w900-h600

This weekend

After a very long build finally took the better half for her first flight in my RV6A 😁
Definitely have the grin now 👍👍👍

Back when I was at that point, I was super smart and machined some very pretty aluminum spacers for the elevator bellcrank. Then I dropped one. Can't use a magnetic pickup tool on the aluminum, of course....

Wow... I thought about doing the same thing and thought of the same problem. Hope it was reasonably reachable, even with a tape-wrapped stick. I spent three stinking hours on six washers. Don't tell anyone... he said, telling everyone...

Last edited:
Wow... I thought about doing the same thing and thought of the same problem. Hope it was reasonably reachable, even with a tape-wrapped stick. I spent three stinking hours on six washers. Don't tell anyone... he said, telling everyone...

Use some EZ-Turn to stick the washers to themselves and whatever else is needed to enable assembly. Washers stuck to a finger can be very helpful in many cases.

Back