What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What did you do with your RV this weekend (7/17/21 - 7/18/21)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member
My freshly overhauled E-mag P114's went back on Saturday. And it's raining Sunday morning as I type this (we needed it). Looking around the house for an old memory card to slide into the MFD to capture engine data during the first start. Now where'd I put those?

IMG_3779-L.jpg

Last edited:
Continuing my IFR training, logged my first 0.5h of actual IMC. I quite enjoyed the experience until we saw a lightning flash a couple or three miles out. Immediately requested lower and were able to get down enough to get to the bases. I need 14.8 more hours of simulated or actual IMC and a flight test for my rating, aiming to be done in 4 weeks before departing for the east coast.

I've been training in the Edmonton, AB airspace for the past week. Busy environment makes it a lot more effective learning experience. This last flight was my required 100 NM flight with 2 approaches, it was more like 260 NM and I did an ILS and a VOR with a procedure turn.

It's been a week for gusty crosswind landings, set a new personal record (not that I'm tracking it, it wasn't even close) on Tuesday with a 27 knot direct crosswind. Spent a seemingly long time on one wheel on that one. Great challenge and it turned out well, but I'll avoid those every chance I can.

The picture is my phone peeking out at downtown Edmonton during my flight on Friday. Lots of smoke in the area.

Attachments

• IMG-1384.jpg
    IMG-1384.jpg
    300.1 KB · Views: 240
Continuing my IFR training, logged my first 0.5h of actual IMC. I quite enjoyed the experience until we saw a lightning flash a couple or three miles out. Immediately requested lower and were able to get down enough to get to the bases. I need 14.8 more hours of simulated or actual IMC and a flight test for my rating, aiming to be done in 4 weeks before departing for the east coast.

I've been training in the Edmonton, AB airspace for the past week. Busy environment makes it a lot more effective learning experience. This last flight was my required 100 NM flight with 2 approaches, it was more like 260 NM and I did an ILS and a VOR with a procedure turn.

It's been a week for gusty crosswind landings, set a new personal record (not that I'm tracking it, it wasn't even close) on Tuesday with a 27 knot direct crosswind. Spent a seemingly long time on one wheel on that one. Great challenge and it turned out well, but I'll avoid those every chance I can.

The picture is my phone peeking out at downtown Edmonton during my flight on Friday. Lots of smoke in the area.

you're beginning to Rock It! I like it.

Went shed hunting to an undisclosed location. Elevation is above New York Class Bravo :D

shed_hunting_-_1_(1).jpeg

Checked my honey hole not bad for couple hours hike.

shed_hunting_-_1_(2).jpeg

I do need to work on my precision landings. Even ATV do better :D

shed_hunting_-_1.jpeg

Last edited:
View attachment 13804

Weekend at Johnson Creek. That lake is in the Sawtooth mountains.

Last month we spent 5 days at Johnson Creek, that we used as a base camp, while we flew out to different airstrips for breakfast each day. There was 4 of us that flew out to the Idaho backcountry airstrips from the Knoxville Tennessee area. Our trip lasted 13 days and over 30 plus hours of flying with many landings and takeoffs. Our gaggle consisted of an RV14, my RV9A, a Bonanza V tail, and a Socota Ralye. This was the most challenging flying I have ever done.
george

Got the forward baggage door and aft fuselage cover plates painted, got the canopy on the fuselage and unmasked canopy and windscreen. Tomorrow the baggage door will be reinstalled and then the fuselage will be trailered to hangar!
AM-JKLV1rB44GljMDKtUnj-weiO2cjMNKIPPQJ8_pQBSxJwI1dqo0Evc0ehp2opY09jHS-bQjXEeyO-vPu8Sk9T7THehfB5vb2gkxA_x-BSoh93kC9TaJwkuoEBQBVUAVrbR7B2JmCfqX_loOTPahWj1Qiat=w900-h600

AM-JKLVAYO27yC4SvOXyg1xTft0o0c4vFvcPA7xr-bpct1vbStNjahzG6vgyYnE2MA5_QyEuinME96LjJMXCorEal5QUkM6S6MCeDmL3eaOIOyRnSyMyk9RXuZpf95BLnh2FDv__NBS-g4zW1yUjwnqm82fq=w900-h600

5 States in 1 hour

Flew to Memphis fora $100 hamburger detour on the way to Huntsville, AL and while planning the next leg, I said, "Hey, why not knock a few states landed in off the list."

5 states in one hour

overall, 7 states in just over 4 hours

Attachments

• Capture1.JPG
    Capture1.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 232
  • Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    50.2 KB · Views: 240
Finished interior smoke plumbing

Finally made the decision as to which QC to use on my smoke system. Received them on Wed and finished installing interior plumbing Sat.

PXL_20210717_153247137.jpg 20210717_181742646.jpg 20210717_181845092.jpg 20210717_182408274.jpg

Flew one LPV approach just for practice. Checked the oil, cleaned the windshield, loaded the plane with everything you might want for a 10 day trip and generally got ready for Oshkosh. All that's left to pack is clothes, etc.

Now if the weather will clear, and if I can get that dr appointment moved up a day...

On our way to Oshkosh

Taking the long way through Virginia. 🙂

Attachments

• 98ED73EA-4008-4A45-8C4D-64F5128979FF.jpg
    98ED73EA-4008-4A45-8C4D-64F5128979FF.jpg
    244.2 KB · Views: 197
  • F3578187-73C5-4872-85A7-3BB6CB62940C.jpg
    F3578187-73C5-4872-85A7-3BB6CB62940C.jpg
    455.3 KB · Views: 201
  • EB29572B-DF49-4B6B-A613-3A6294A8624E.jpg
    EB29572B-DF49-4B6B-A613-3A6294A8624E.jpg
    287.7 KB · Views: 213
  • 567A8F50-57A8-4FAA-B1FB-61E668245001.jpg
    567A8F50-57A8-4FAA-B1FB-61E668245001.jpg
    550.8 KB · Views: 178
VLAD, I have the same prop you have on order with Catto. Did you always have that prop? How many hours on it when you had it overhauled?
george

George the prop was made in 2008 older style blades. I put over 3K hours on it. It was beat up pretty bad after some AK gravel strip landings. Then in 2019 I put a Performance three bladed propeller which served me well for another thousand hours. I sent a lot of shrapnel through it.

Last year my old prop was totally refurbished by Catto factory and I am glad I have it back. Makes huge difference at my altitudes. However the old style is not suitable for modern metal leading edges it just has a wear tape over the edges. You will love the prop George :)

catto_-_1_(1).jpeg

catto_-_1.jpeg

George the prop was made in 2008 older style blades. I put over 3K hours on it. It was beat up pretty bad after some AK gravel strip landings. Then in 2019 I put a Performance three bladed propeller which served me well for another thousand hours. I sent a lot of shrapnel through it.

Last year my old prop was totally refurbished by Catto factory and I am glad I have it back. Makes huge difference at my altitudes. However the old style is not suitable for modern metal leading edges it just has a wear tape over the edges. You will love the prop George :)

catto_-_1_(1).jpeg

catto_-_1.jpeg

VLAD, Thanks for getting back. I should receive my prop within the next few weeks. I ordered the all around prop with the nickel leading edge. I am replacing the Vans recommended Sensenich prop and may need a weighted crush plate to keep my CG in limits. I have already reduced weight by installing the EarthX battery that only weighs 4 lbs on the forward firewall, so I don't want to move the CG too much further aft. Did you modify your lower cowl to make it's removal easier due to the 3 blades? george

Did you modify your lower cowl to make it's removal easier due to the 3 blades? george

I cut the nose gear slot a bit longer but it's still a pain in the rear to remove and install. Especially if anybody is watching or trying to help :D

Checked out panel upgrade operation

Finally got to test fly my GNX 375/Aera 760 panel upgrade, very impressed. Integrated them with my Dynon D-100/HS43, SL-30, TruTrak Gemini AP. Everything works great and can fly the AP from either the 760 (lateral mode) or the 375 (vertical mode).
Flew a test GPS overlay visual approach and the 375 literally flew to the touchdown point on the runway centerline.

Glad I followed Walts advice on a prior thread and went for the 375 versus the 175 as it makes for a very clean installation.

Great upgrade for an older panel.
Figs

Back