What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Help- landing light conversion to LED RV-8

KLax18

What is a good conversion landing light from my current wing tip landing lights? One current bulb burnt out so I want to go to LED. Thanks

Attachments

• DD3F88CE-3CD8-4D7C-A9FD-2BFADBEE44EB.jpg
    DD3F88CE-3CD8-4D7C-A9FD-2BFADBEE44EB.jpg
    192.5 KB · Views: 223
What is a good conversion landing light from my current wing tip landing lights? One current bulb burnt out so I want to go to LED. Thanks

For the complete conversion there is "The Works" from Flyleds.com https://flyleds.com/products/#!/The-Works-Wingtip-Lighting-Kit/p/105662651/category=0

1277909513.jpg

For the landing light by itself there is this option of a drop-in replacement for the MR-16 halogen: https://flyleds.com/products/#!/Single-Spotlight/p/108852015/category=0

1283017072.jpg

Last edited:
First thing to do is verify what bulb you have in your wingtip. Can't tell for certain from the picture, but it looks to me like it might be a PAR 36 bulb. Commonly used and easily replaced with units from a variety of sources, aviation and non-aviation. If it is a PAR 36 bulb the replacement is a simple task. Search with google: "PAR 36 replacement site:vansairforce.net" and you will find all kinds of suggestions.

+1 for FlyLEDs. At least four times as bright with a quarter of the amperage draw from the Vans light kit. Straight drop in replacement for the wingtip lights.

Those are awesome. How did you paint the circuit boards on your FLYLED's?
We encourage you to build the kit first, then mask the LEDs and paint the boards to suit your paint scheme. That way you can cover up the solder joints on the board as well.
Use low tack painting tape to avoid damaging the LEDs. A couple of customers have also used Liquid Latex to mask the LEDs, which brushes on and peels off afterwards. Use the rest of the bottle for Halloween makeup later on!

Thanks to Carlos for answering the OP!

Back