What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Solo riveting fixture (AKA look 'ma no hands!)

htx9a

After nearing completion of the wing top skin riveting, there are a few that I just can't quite reach. It turns out that back-riveting is actually very easy if you combine a back-riveting bar with a large rare-earth magnet covered in tape. In my case, this is a stack of magnets extracted from old hard drives.

20210622_181332746.small.jpg

The bucking bar appearing to float mid-air as if by magic:
20210622_182037973.small.jpg

More pictures/detail
http://rv_blog.codenthings.com/back-riveting-solo.html

It's an interesting idea, but I'm having trouble seeing the process as well. I don't see how the magnet stays positioned over manufactured head while you're back riveting the shop head.

Very cool idea! To answer the question above, the magnets appear to be on the shop head side and stuck to the back rivet bar on the manufactured side with the skin between them. There should be enough room beside the magnet to place the back rivet set on the shop head side.

As a caution to anyone that wants to try it. Rare earth magnets can be very powerful, even dangerous. You could risk denting skins if you're not careful with placement.

Last edited:
Instead of snapping the magnet directly opposite the bar, place it above flush with the skin and then slide it down until it pops into place just above the shop head, leaving room for the rivet set. This seems to work best in the vertical configuration because gravity helps lever the bar against the skin. These hard drive magnets are also nice because they have a bit of a curve that naturally leaves a spot for the rivet set.

There's a fine line between a strong-enough magnet and a dangerous finger-pinching menace. I haven't dented anything yet! It also tends to attract the rivet set so it will need a bit of guidance.

20210622_182102673.small.jpg

Last edited:
I'm on the BOD of Iris Dynamics. We make computer-controlled high power linear actuators and deal with rare-earth magnets all the time.

These magnets need to be treated like handling a rattlesnake. We treat them in the lab as hazmat and have strict handling procedures to prevent them from 'jumping' to other magnets or ferrous objects nearby.

They can shatter like glass and chips can fly in the air, so protective gloves and goggles are a good idea. Wear a mask as well.

Perhaps dipping them in plastic or wrapping them like the OP is a good idea. Just treat them with a lot of respect.

FMI https://totalelement.com/pages/neodymium-magnets-safety-warning

VV

I actually work for a company that builds AC permanent magnet motors and inverters for electric vehicles, so I definitely agree on the safety aspect. Inserting a magnetized rotor into a stator can require a special jig because of the forces involved.

It's very convenient that the majority of the airframe is aluminum and my other bucking bars are tungsten, and thus not magnetic. I have a designated magnet spot (on my refrigerator :) when I'm done with it.

Back