VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   Electronic Ignition Systems (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=103)
-   -   SureFly feedback before I pull the trigger (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=179114)

Sam Buchanan 01-29-2020 01:36 PM

SureFly feedback before I pull the trigger
 
Both mags on my carbed O-320 are due either 500+ hour inspection or overhaul. They both work fine but due to cost analysis I'm strongly considering replacing the impulse mag with a SureFly impulse ignition. I can purchase the SureFly for about the same expense as two overhauled Tempest Slicks. My lowest time mag (non-impulse) would get an inspection and light refreshing as necessary since it would be relegated to backup duty.

There is some SureFly feedback in the archives but not much current info. I would really appreciate field experience from RVers who are using this ignition. I intend to use it in fixed timing mode for simplicity--I don't fly enough hours to make an incremental saving in fuel burn a major factor.

Comments appreciated!

bkervaski 01-29-2020 02:01 PM

I haven't owned a SureFly but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ...

The SureFly doesn't have a generator, it's uses ship power, and if you're installing two, it's required that you have a backup battery system in place so budget for that, could get expensive and complicated.

PMAGs, in comparison, have an internal generator, no secondary battery necessary, but are a few hundred dollars more than the SureFly.

Sam Buchanan 01-29-2020 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bkervaski (Post 1404077)
I haven't owned a SureFly but did stay at a Holiday Inn last night ...

The SureFly doesn't have a generator, it's uses ship power, and if you're installing two, it's required that you have a backup battery system in place so budget for that, could get expensive and complicated.

PMAGs, in comparison, have an internal generator, no secondary battery necessary, but are a few hundred dollars more than the SureFly.

As stated in my post......only going to replace the impulse mag.

bkervaski 01-29-2020 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan (Post 1404083)
As stated in my post......only going to replace the impulse mag.

I need to stop replying to posts on my mobile without reading glasses .. :eek: .. been trying to cross the 50 yard line without needing them :p :(

Pilot135pd 01-29-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sam Buchanan (Post 1404072)
Both mags on my carbed O-320 are due either 500+ hour inspection or overhaul. They both work fine but due to cost analysis I'm strongly considering replacing the impulse mag with a SureFly impulse ignition. I can purchase the SureFly for about the same expense as two overhauled Tempest Slicks. My lowest time mag (non-impulse) would get an inspection and light refreshing as necessary since it would be relegated to backup duty.

There is some SureFly feedback in the archives but not much current info. I would really appreciate field experience from RVers who are using this ignition. I intend to use it in fixed timing mode for simplicity--I don't fly enough hours to make an incremental saving in fuel burn a major factor.

Comments appreciated!

How much does it cost to overhaul 2 mags? I should be there by the end of this year.

RONSIM 01-29-2020 03:00 PM

Not sure the prop you are using
 
Sam, apparently there has been an issue with the Surefly and "light-weight" props i.e. "kickback" on starting. My hangar neighbor had to return his Surefly because he has a Catto, and was getting the kick-back. There is a thread, somewhere on this from last Fall.

I do covet the Surefly for my impulse-side mag., just to make hot starts go a little easier.

Ron

Bavafa 01-29-2020 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RONSIM (Post 1404101)
Sam, apparently there has been an issue with the Surefly and "light-weight" props i.e. "kickback" on starting. My hangar neighbor had to return his Surefly because he has a Catto, and was getting the kick-back. There is a thread, somewhere on this from last Fall.

I do covet the Surefly for my impulse-side mag., just to make hot starts go a little easier.

Ron

I also believe I read a post that had issues with getting TAC signal, but it might been more of complicated set op rather than an issue.

mdevans9 01-29-2020 04:33 PM

Sam,

I recently did as you propose - replaced the left impulse-coupled Slick with a Surefly and retained the right non-impulse coupled Slick. Gapped the Surefly plugs to .030 and also set it up for fixed timing. My engine (IO-360-M1B) always started well. Now, with same cold/hot techniques, it starts even better, and seems to idle smoother.

I did lose Tach1, as it does not put out a signal that my GRT4000 can read (see VAF thread "Surefly mag check issue on EIS4000"). Can get that back with either a magnetic tach sender on the right mag, such as UMA T1A9, or Vans TACHGEN2 sender off the engine tach drive. Surefly did tell me that they are working on a module to interface with many tachs.

My prop is a metal Hartzell. So, probably no kickback issues. However, I wanted some insurance. See VAF thread, "Starter Kickback on new Surefly Installation". Particularly Posts #28 and #30 from Dan, and #34 from Ross. I used the procedure described by Dan, but timed to fire at 3 degrees after top center, on start, and the normal (for an -M1B) 25 degrees before top center, otherwise.

Hope that helps.

Best regards,

Merrill

Sam Buchanan 01-29-2020 05:15 PM

Thank you, Merrill, your experience is a good datapoint.

I saw the posts about the kickback and tweaking the "impulse" timing. I have a fixed metal Sensenich so there will be more inertia than the light Catto. I think this will be a well-supported ignition due to Lycoming being onboard.

Overhaul cost for two Slicks is $1440 (ACS price) for two Tempest overhauled mags, even more if sourced from Champion. Overhaul parts kits are about as much as the overhauled mags. So the new impulse SureFly (2400 hr TBO) is less than overhauling two used mags which will need attention in another 500 hours.

The tach issue isn't a big deal for me, I've been flying the plane so long I can tell by ear/feel if the mag drop is excessive. Most likely there won't be much in the way of drop with the SureFly.

kkmarshall 01-29-2020 08:12 PM

Been super happy with mine for the last 2-3 years. No issues so far and starts great hot or cold. On an i0 540 though.


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 08:40 AM.