VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   GPS (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=39)
-   -   Garmin TFR Database Error (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=206420)

RV8JD 05-17-2022 05:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g3xpert (Post 1608765)
Good Morning,

There are a few different sources you can use for weather information, SiriusXM, FIS-B, and the Internet based Garmin Weather Datastream. The first two also include TFR information, the internet weather data stream does not. See page 115 of the Aera 660 Pilot's Guide.

Thanks,

Justin

Thanks for the info. It would be quite helpful if the Garmin internet weather data stream included TFR info.

SwampRat 08-29-2022 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g3xpert (Post 1608765)
Good Morning,

There are a few different sources you can use for weather information, SiriusXM, FIS-B, and the Internet based Garmin Weather Datastream. The first two also include TFR information, the internet weather data stream does not. See page 115 of the Aera 660 Pilot's Guide.

Thanks,

Justin

Good morning Justin,

I am considering a 760 to replace my iPad (and Foreflight). A couple of questions.

Has the SW Texas TFR issue been fully resolved?

Is the TFR data now showing with internet weather stream on the 760? TBF, I am accustomed to seeing it on the iPad during flight planning and briefing and have found this invaluable.

Thanks

g3xpert 08-29-2022 03:46 PM

TFR Data

Quote:

Originally Posted by SwampRat (Post 1630677)
Good morning Justin,

I am considering a 760 to replace my iPad (and Foreflight). A couple of questions.

Has the SW Texas TFR issue been fully resolved?

Is the TFR data now showing with internet weather stream on the 760? TBF, I am accustomed to seeing it on the iPad during flight planning and briefing and have found this invaluable.

Thanks

Hi Nick,

Funny you mention this, we have a software build in process right now that incorporates the fix to this problem. This will be rolled out shortly and available for download directly. For the Aera 760, an update to both the display and the GDL it is receiving FIS-B data from is required to correct the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

navig8 08-29-2022 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g3xpert (Post 1630745)
Hi Nick,

Funny you mention this, we have a software build in process right now that incorporates the fix to this problem. This will be rolled out shortly and available for download directly. For the Aera 760, an update to both the display and the GDL it is receiving FIS-B data from is required to correct the problem.

Thanks,

Justin

Hi Justin,

Will the upcoming fix also cover TFR's not showing up when only an internet (Wifi) feed is available? You mention that both an update to the 760 and GDL will be needed but I don't see how an update to the GDL would fix the issue with no TFR's when only connected to the internet (since the 760 is not connected to the GDL in that case).

Thanks,
Eric

g3xpert 09-09-2022 09:31 AM

Software Update 9-9-2022

Good Morning,

We released Aera 760 software 2.62 and Aera 660 software 3.82 today, alongside GDL 5x software 2.19, to address this issue. We recommend downloading these updates as soon as practical to correct this issue.

G3X Touch installations should also update GDL 5x software when able, to ensure the FIS-B Data stream is being updated correctly.

Thanks,

Justin

jliltd 09-09-2022 02:28 PM

Great news! I am on the way to the airport where I have a G3X Touch flight deck, 4 aera 660's, one 760, three GDL 52's and one GDL 50 waiting (I always go non-R on the GDL 5xs). Time to fire up the old hotspot and let each airplane rip with the update.

navig8 09-09-2022 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by g3xpert (Post 1633299)
Good Morning,

We released Aera 760 software 2.62 and Aera 660 software 3.82 today, alongside GDL 5x software 2.19, to address this issue. We recommend downloading these updates as soon as practical to correct this issue.

G3X Touch installations should also update GDL 5x software when able, to ensure the FIS-B Data stream is being updated correctly.

Thanks,

Justin

Thank you Justin. Can you provide further information about the first line item in the change log: Add support for dynamic mapping products

What are dynamic mapping products?

Thanks,
Eric

RV8JD 09-09-2022 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navig8 (Post 1633379)
Thank you Justin. Can you provide further information about the first line item in the change log: Add support for dynamic mapping products

What are dynamic mapping products?

Thanks,
Eric

Dynamic mapping: https://www.aviationconsumer.com/acc...namic-mapping/
"With dynamic mapping, the user can customize the look of navigation and base maps and choose between track-up or north-up moving map orientation. With traditional static maps, the on-screen labels appear in a fixed position and orientation. So when the map is rotated, the labels may appear sideways or upside down. It’s a lot like viewing a paper map sideways or upside down. When in track-up mode, however, navigation maps will dynamically adjust to the direction of flight—automatically turning the maps so the labels are upright."
Not sure what this latest update adds.

navig8 09-09-2022 05:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RV8JD (Post 1633380)
Dynamic mapping: https://www.aviationconsumer.com/acc...namic-mapping/
"With dynamic mapping, the user can customize the look of navigation and base maps and choose between track-up or north-up moving map orientation. With traditional static maps, the on-screen labels appear in a fixed position and orientation. So when the map is rotated, the labels may appear sideways or upside down. It’s a lot like viewing a paper map sideways or upside down. When in track-up mode, however, navigation maps will dynamically adjust to the direction of flight—automatically turning the maps so the labels are upright."
Not sure what this latest update adds.

RV8JD,

According to the Garmin site, the new 2.62 update has the following changes:

Change History
Changes made from version 2.61 to 2.62:
Add support for dynamic mapping products
Improve airspace alert reporting
Improve map display of TFR, NOTAM, and obstacle data
Improve usage of Magnetic Variation data
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.19
Includes GDL 39 software version 4.91
Includes GPS software version 3.30

My question was about the first item in the list. What does "Add support for dynamic mapping products" mean for the aera 760? Before this update, the 760 already had a dynamic map where the detail would change as you zoom in and out.

RV8JD 09-09-2022 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by navig8 (Post 1633423)
RV8JD,

According to the Garmin site, the new 2.62 update has the following changes:

Change History
Changes made from version 2.61 to 2.62:
Add support for dynamic mapping products
Improve airspace alert reporting
Improve map display of TFR, NOTAM, and obstacle data
Improve usage of Magnetic Variation data
General improvements to system operation
Includes update to GDL 5X software version 2.19
Includes GDL 39 software version 4.91
Includes GPS software version 3.30

My question was about the first item in the list. What does "Add support for dynamic mapping products" mean for the aera 760? Before this update, the 760 already had a dynamic map where the detail would change as you zoom in and out.

Yes, I was aware of that. Hence this comment in my post: "Not sure what this latest update adds.".

But your original question was: "What are dynamic mapping products?"

Just trying to be helpful.