What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Vans backlog is getting better

airguy

Unrepentant fanboy
Sponsor
I placed a full-kit order for a 10 on March 3, and just got a crating notice for late September for the wing kit, much faster than I expected.

Generally, this is good news. For me, not so much. I ordered the finish kit before the fuse arrived due to the price increase that was announced. I could use an extra few months beyond the 14 that was stated when I ordered. I'm headed towards that $75K engine and prop necessity faster than I want to be.

Is there a backlog for one-off parts, or just kits? I just put a small parts order in but totally forgot they're having trouble/delays.

Vans website will indicate if the part is "in stock". My experience is - if it says in stock, I get it in about a week.

I placed a full-kit order for a 10 on March 3, and just got a crating notice for late September for the wing kit, much faster than I expected.

lucky you!...RV7 here ordered last June wont see it till this November probably crating about the same time as yours...due to the "batching" you get bumped up the list.

Last edited:
Just another data point on this.
Ordered my -8 fuse in November, with a 12 month + lead time. Just got an email with crating in early/mid September.
So things are getting better.

Better?

Just another data point on this.
Ordered my -8 fuse in November, with a 12 month + lead time. Just got an email with crating in early/mid September.
So things are getting better.

I don't know about that....I ordered an RV8 finish kit a year ago next week and it said 6 month lead time on their website. I just got notified that it may kit some time October, so I'm not expecting it until November. That's almost a 1-1/2 years. I'm not thrilled....but I guess I understand.

Full-kit meaning what? Including Finishing and FWF?

I ordered my Finish kit in January and haven't heard any news.

Ordered RV-7 wings (slow build) March, 30th, 2022. Crating date is currently Aug 12 2022 - Sep 2 2022.
Ordered RV-7 fuselage (slow build) May, 26th, 2022. Crating date is currently Aug 5 2022 - Aug 26 2022.

I would also be interested to hear of finish kit time scales if anybody has recent info - I ordered a 7 finish kit in February 2022.

So, I just talked to Van's, and they say my finish kit has a target date of April 2023. I ordered it in February 2022 and was given a 13-14 month lead time. So, it doesn't sound like they're doing any better on finish kits.

I'm a little concerned about this.

We are working hard on finish kits. They are the most complex in terms of a) parts made from materials which are currently supply chain limited or unavailable, b) parts we purchase from third parties, and c) some parts where we rely on third party processes as part of the manufacturing process. Our teams are very, very hard at work on improving finishing kit timelines.

Ordered my -10 finishing kit in Aug ‘21. I called a week ago and was told I’m 140th in line. Kinda hard to believe almost a year later and I’m at #140. How many finishing kit orders did they receive in the past yr🤔.

Honestly I’m sure the “panic buying” that occurred has only made things much worse. When people heard about a backlog they started ordering kits they wouldn’t have normally.

So not to put words in Vans’ mouth but between the downtime we had to start a new “hobby” plus panic buying plus supply chain it got ugly.

I Think of all the engines, props and avionics systems that will sit for years without being touched.

Is there going to be a flood of kits and components hitting the classifieds? For Van's sake, I hope not. I don't expect the rate of completion to change a whole lot, so there certainly will be more kits and components becoming available. My belief is that it will be a slow trickle for years.

Back