What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

RV6 LED Light Conversion

Nick119

Hello, All
I recently bought a RV6 and it has the original lighting and they aren't really up to my standards as I love to fly at night. Is there a good drop in LED lights to the current configuration? If so/not what does everyone recommend?

Attachments

• IMG_0053.jpg
    IMG_0053.jpg
    187.1 KB · Views: 287
  • IMG_0054.jpg
    IMG_0054.jpg
    188 KB · Views: 267
  • IMG_0055.jpg
    IMG_0055.jpg
    254.6 KB · Views: 290
FlyLED

I went to FlyLED 6 pack. Incredible difference. I am NOT a builder, and used a street sign for aluminum, but fabricated my own mounting plate. A little paint and it looks fantastic. The difference in light is insane. Recently my home airport runway lights wouldn't come on, and I saw the runway perfectly.

Hello, All
I recently bought a RV6 and it has the original lighting and they aren't really up to my standards as I love to fly at night. Is there a good drop in LED lights to the current configuration? If so/not what does everyone recommend?

Is that a normal PAR 36 bulb? If so there are plenty drop in replacements. I used AeroLites. Very happy with there products. I just installed the nav/strobes and they are great so far.
https://www.aero-lites.com/

Hi Nick
You likely have one light aimed high and one low at the moment, with not a lot of light coming from either!

Our Combo lights were designed with tail draggers in mind. One of the spotlights out of the four can be tilted downwards so that it is aimed properly when the tail is on the ground.
Put one of these in each wing and you'll get a heap of light for landing coming from both sides of the plane, and you can still see down both sides of the runway when you're taxiing.
Just the single taxi lights are likely to be twice as bright as what you have now. There's another three on each side aimed for landing...

There is a little more work required than just "drop in" but you will be very happy with the result. The Combos have been one of our most popular products, so I'm sure a few others will verify what I'm saying!

Yep, replaced my old halogen light with Flyleds Combo about a year ago, can only recommend the product and Paul’s excellent service.

The unit was quite easy to install in the existing bulkhead, and just required the installation of an additional wire for the separate taxi light which I did not have before.

I am thinking about going with a seven stars on one side and a combo on the other.

Paul, is it possible to have more than one diffused light on the combo?

Yep, replaced my old halogen light with Flyleds Combo about a year ago, can only recommend the product and Paul’s excellent service.

The unit was quite easy to install in the existing bulkhead, and just required the installation of an additional wire for the separate taxi light which I did not have before.

Do you have any pictures of your install and modification of the existing Duckworth bracket? I would like to have the combo but the two light version looks easier to fit in there.

Thanks.
John

Back