What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Canadian log requirements

rc82

I'm New Here
Anyone who’s built/building in Canada have advice on build logs? I’ve been able to find information on what the FAA requires, and I’m assuming I’ll use either the Kitlog Pro and the EAA Builders Log products…

But before committing, I wanted to ensure that there were no Canada specific requirements for what it contains. I promise I’ve searched :) but I can’t seem to find any reference to a build log requirement on the TC site, the MDRA site/docs or on ‘the Google’.

So I thought I’d ask here: has your Canadian inspector had any specific asks when it came time to review your build logbook?

If not, I’ll just use one of those solutions above as I’m sure both meet the American standards.

Could be a 3 ring binder, or even a series of note books, no specifics required here. Inspectors like pictures, and notations if you used professional help, otherwise it is your tool to document your process.
The on-line logs you mention work fine too. Check to see if they have print out capability.

A short history

Md-ra will ask for a "short history" of your build as part of the final inspection, but I've not seen any other formal requirements. I just made the notes and dates on the plans as I did the steps.

Ralph touched on the most important aspect of the builder's log.

An aircraft constructed in Canada is governed by our regulations which allow for the use of professional construction. The US regulations do not allow for the use of professional construction in the same manner.

For many builders the value of the builder's log is to document the extent to which professional assistance (if any) is used. This document trail then becomes valuable if one wishes to see the aircraft into the US market. An aircraft imported to the US from Canada will have to pass the 51% amateur-built test and the builder log may be the only substantial evidence a Canadian vendor can use to substantiate the amateur-built content of the aircraft.

Now for the more practical perspective...

I can't count the number of times I've gone back to my builder's log to check the part number or serial number of a component installed in the airplane. This, to me, is the biggest value of the logbook. Recording part numbers and serial numbers of components, measurements and settings, the logic behind a particular build decision (now why did I route that wire bundle over there?) and such details makes the builder's log a vital piece of information. It is invaluable in easing the burden of continued airworthiness of the aircraft.

Now for a pet peeve of mine - inadequate supplemental information recorded in the Journey Log.

The builder's log is not one of the documents which is formally required, but the Journey Log is formally required. For the sake of our future sanity it is always a good idea to record compliance with each and every manufacturer's mandatory inspection or modification, be it a Service Bulletin, Service Information Letter or similar. Having this data recorded in the Journey Log allows us to easily confirm compliance and to track recurring inspection requirements. Remember those little blocks down at the bottom of the Journey Log pages where we record things like ELT battery replacement and altimeter calibration as well as annual inspection and oil change schedules? That's also not a bad spot to write down and track mandatory recurring inspections.

While it's work to write this information in a logbook, if we're smart when we do it and make the information easy to find, the up-front labor investment will be handsomely rewarded by labor savings and frustration avoidance throughout the life of the aircraft.

Thank you for the information, both answering the initial question and also the added tips in CanadianJoy’s post. I hadn’t thought to include those details in my build log, but now that you’ve suggested it, it makes a lot of sense and is something I’ll be doing.

Glad to know that there isn’t anything else beyond the norm that MDRA will need.

Cheers!

Back