What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Uncontrolled Field Ops - A Confession

Dan Langhout

Well Known Member
They say confession is good for the soul - so I am going to try to do mine some good. A mistake (failure) on my part yesterday could have caused a serious, possibly fatal accident. Luckily, there was no incident.

Yesterday morning I flew to a nearby, uncontrolled airport to pick up a friend who had dropped off his C-170 for some avionics work. This was his first flight in an RV of any type, so we were chatting about all the expected stuff on the taxi out to the departure end of the runway. I pulled up my “Before Take Off” checklist on the Dynon, ran through it, took a look up at the final approach course, announced “RV 528DP DEPARTING 5” on the CTAF and pulled onto the runway - pushing up the throttle. I had no more pushed the throttle to full and raised the tail up when I heard “SKYHAWK 123XYZ GOING AROUND” on the CTAF. Shocked, I looked around and saw a Skyhawk well off to my right side and a couple of hundred feet above me! Clearly I had just screwed up royally. I continued the takeoff and turned out to the left. Shaken a bit, I apologized to the Skyhawk pilot on the radio and then flew back to Moontown.

After we got back, I sat down to really think about how bad this could have been and where I had become slack or come up short in my processes that would let me completely miss an approaching aircraft on a pretty short final.. I really think I have become a bit complacent in some areas - probably a result of flying a lot these days. Here’s what I came up with:

• Expectation of other pilot’s pattern position announcements for traffic “Heads Up”.

My passenger and I agreed that we did not hear any position announcements from the Skyhawk pilot in the pattern. Did he really not make any or did we just not hear him? Doesn't matter - he is not actually REQUIRED to make any. It’s my responsibility to make sure the coast is clear. In thinking back through all of this, I believe I have fallen into the (bad) habit of expecting some position announcements from pilots in the pattern. This leads to a bit of “Expectation Bias” that segues into the next point.​

• Cursory glance up at the final approach course rather than careful scrutiny.

When I was working on my PPL back in the dark ages, my instructor taught me to completely clear the traffic pattern before taking the active runway. He would literally have me stand on the left brake while we slowly pivoted around 360 degrees scanning upwind, crosswind, downwind, base, and then final to get a clear picture of what might be in the pattern and where. Maybe that was a bit too much(?) - but it was a definite conscious act to really look for traffic. Admittedly, over the years, I have abandoned this thorough approach and now typically just look up the final approach course for traffic. Obviously sometimes that look isn’t as careful as it should be - particularly if I’m not expecting anything to be there.​

• Lack of Sterile Cockpit.

Probably like most of you, the vast majority of my flying is solo - so a sterile cockpit at critical times isn’t normally a problem. In this instance, I had a passenger - and while we weren’t actually talking during the time in question, we had been and I didn’t go through the sort of mental gear shift into “sterile mode”.​

Definitely going to fix these things. As a reminder, perhaps an addition to the “Before Takeoff” checklist to consciously scan each sector of the pattern?

Thanks for hearing my confession - flames accepted. I feel better now.

Part of my pre-takeoff checklist, at the hold-short point, is to say out loud and LOOK while doing it - "Runway is clear; Final is clear; Controls are free and clear" and then take the runway.

I had a similar incident to yours way back in my dark ages, that resulted in that being added to my procedures.

When the winds are light or calm expect someone going the other way. I was on final just over the numbers when I saw a big ole landing light on the other end of the runway.

You are not the only one...

Not too long ago I was in a similar situation. I was chatting with a friend while doing my pre-takeoff checklist. I pulled up to the hold short line, did a cursory look at the runway (uncontrolled field) and started entering the runway while I announced my intentions. A Cessna was at the other end of the field starting their takeoff roll and they quickly asked me to hold. Luckily I was able to stop and they had plenty of room for their takeoff. I was sure I didn't hear any prior announcements, but to be fair I was chatting with my passenger. The Cessna was a dull grey color, making it hard to see, but the fault was clearly mine.

Your list is a great one, and I clearly didn't execute your list. I would add one more:
  • Pause a few seconds before entering the runway after your announcement

I now announce my intention to take the runway, then take one more long look to ensure final and runway are clear.

Thanks for the great reminders.

Thanks for sharing this, Dan. I always appreciate the reminders of things that can possibly go wrong, and it's great when there is no bent metal involved in learning a lesson.

Your list is a great one, and I clearly didn't execute your list. I would add one more:
  • Pause a few seconds before entering the runway after your announcement

Second this. Similar to my driver's ed instructor's "look-signal-look" phrase about lane changes, I do a "look-announce-look" before taking the runway. more than once I've gotten a reply from someone in the pattern or another runway I wasn't aware of.

Another thing I like to do is announcing that I'm holding short when I know someone is on final. It offers them reassurance I'm not going to pull out in front of them.

Some of the blame...

Some of the blame likely is with the cessna pilot, as well. Although not REQUIRED to make those calls, it is a good idea to do so. I fly primarily from uncontrolled airports, and things run much better when people at least attempt to communicate.

The people who do not choose to communicate do serve a purpose, though. If I am instructing at the time, I use them as an example for the new students...not a good example...

I always make it a habit when turning base to final to give a good look for straight in traffic to the right. It's part of my normal pattern scan now

When I was working on my PPL back in the dark ages, my instructor taught me to completely clear the traffic pattern before taking the active runway. He would literally have me stand on the left brake while we slowly pivoted around 360 degrees scanning upwind, crosswind, downwind, base, and then final to get a clear picture of what might be in the pattern and where. Maybe that was a bit too much(?) - but it was a definite conscious act to really look for traffic.​

I'm not sure if my instructor pushed this or not, but I know my dad taught me this before I took my first real lesson. We're based at an uncontrolled field. I don't think it's a bit too much, not at all.​

Obviously not all traffic at non-towered fields will have com radios but it's a good habit to announce "Jones County traffic, Experimental 1234 taxiing to Runway X, departing to the northeast, any traffic please advise" or "Jones County traffic, Experimental 1234 holding short of Runway X, departing to the northeast, any traffic please advise."

Glad no metal got bent.

I had a similar incident several years ago in my RV-12 at the non-towered airport I am based out of. The runway is just over 5,000' long. I was at the 16 end, the wind favored 16, other traffic was using 16.

I announced my takeoff intention, paused, heard no other chatter and pulled onto the runway. Just as I rotated and got airborne I saw a yellow RV-4 coming right at me. Since we started at almost a mile apart and the RV-4 climbs faster than the Rv-12 I lowered the nose and kept going (not much else I could do). I got a very good view of the RV-4s belly as he passed a couple of hundred feet above me.

Carl had just landed and asked on the radio if I saw the RV that just went over me. I said "yeah, I think he really oughtta clean that belly", or words to that effect. I asked if he heard any radio calls from him, I didn't, and he said he didn't either.

Since I have no control over what the other guy does I asked myself what I could have done to prevent this situation. The only thing that came to mind was to not only look for other airplanes in the pattern, or on the runway, but also in the run up area at the other end of the runway. I don't remember specifically looking at the other end of the runway before pulling onto it.

I had the same thing happen the opposite way also once. I was landing 34 and on short final someone took off on 16. I had noticed him in the run up area while I was on downwind, but that isn't overly unusual, sometimes people go there just for maintenance runs so I didn't think too much of it until I saw him head on on short final. I turned to the right and went around to try again. Didn't hear anything from him either, but I may have just missed it.

I try to remind myself to keep my head on a swivel and look everywhere, particularly where I don't expect someone to be.

Not an accepted phrase. See these references:

"Non-Towered Airport Flight Operations" - https://www.faa.gov/documentLibrary/media/Advisory_Circular/AC_90-66B_CHG_1.pdf

Page 7:

"Note: Pilots are reminded that the use of the phrase, “ANY TRAFFIC IN THE AREA, PLEASE ADVISE,” is not a recognized self-announce position and/or intention phrase and should not be used under any condition. Any traffic that is present at the time of your self-announcement that is capable of radio communications should reply without being prompted to do so."

Thanks. Looks like that document is dated 2019, though I don't know if the information was published prior to then.

I got my CFMEII in the early 90's and while I keep the certificate current, I haven't actively instructed (or flown GA) in decades. I appreciate your pointing that out.

Last edited:
Thanks for the report Dan - I’d say “go forth and sin no more….” But the truth is, we are all only as good as our next small screw up, no matter how long we fly.

I know that an entire generation and a half has gone by since I started flying, and newer generations are taught that EVERYONE is ALWAYS on the radio, and announcing from the moment they open the hangar door. But will anyone that has been flying for a long time who has NOT accidentally ben on the wrong frequency, making their announcements raise their hand? Yeah….didn’t think we’d get many hands.

In short - we have to assume that there are always people that are not part of the conversation, and whether it is intentional (“I’m not required to make calls, so I am not goign to ….someone might be listening….”), or honestly unintentional because you forgot to press the frequency transfer button, or got one digit off, or your PTT has failed, or…..whatever. And don’t forget, there are lots of great aviators out enjoying the non-electric Cub in the evening light, and that is legal - so always assume there are NORDO airplanes out there, and don’t get too upset about it. It’s part of the ecosystem of GA, so be careful and watch out for yourself - and others!

I know that an entire generation and a half has gone by since I started flying, and newer generations are taught that EVERYONE is ALWAYS on the radio, and announcing from the moment they open the hangar door.

HA... I got "the look" today from someone in a Diamond because I didn't respond to their taxi announcements on Unicom. Honest to gosh, I don't care about your plan to taxi back to the hangar. If I'm already on the taxiway, you should probably yield, and vice versa.

And one more sin...
make sure you are actually on the correct frequency ... :eek:

That said I was quite surprised the other day when I landed and started to taxi and saw a twin on short final. Not one single call from him. Yes I was on the correct frequency.

low wing coming over a high wing on final can be fatal. 44 yrs ago in Kansas. my friend had died. they put the rubble in the grass. I don't know why but I just laid on the wing for about an hour. I was 16 yrs.

Last edited:
Obviously not all traffic at non-towered fields will have com radios but it's a good habit to announce "Jones County traffic, Experimental 1234 taxiing to Runway X, departing to the northeast, any traffic please advise" or "Jones County traffic, Experimental 1234 holding short of Runway X, departing to the northeast, any traffic please advise."

Glad no metal got bent.

“Any traffic please advise” is the only specifically mentioned to NOT make transmission in the AIM. It is useless, jams the frequency and shows you don’t read, or choose to follow the AIM. You can try to defend it, but don’t.

I don't agree with the FAA's position here. That call does sometimes bring up people who either haven't made a call or made one recently enough to be current. At uncontrolled fields, in the absence of a lot of radio traffic, it adds to safety. If there's a lot of chatter, then not.

A problem we've been having recently isn't lack of radio communication or excessive communication, though, it's people working the pattern and flying cross-country-size patterns. They often make the appropriate calls but they are so far away they disappear into the haze or ground clutter. I'm thinking two miles past the end of the runway to start base leg.

Dave

I don't agree with the FAA's position here. That call does sometimes bring up people who either haven't made a call or made one recently enough to be current.
Dave

Are you claiming you’ve done a controlled study, leading to the conclusion that people stay silent if you call ‘taking the active 12’, but they do reply if you add, ‘morons who don’t understand this, tell us if we might be cutting you off.’

Are you claiming you’ve done a controlled study, leading to the conclusion that people stay silent if you call ‘taking the active 12’, but they do reply if you add, ‘morons who don’t understand this, tell us if we might be cutting you off.’

Good answer. There are people who just do irregular stuff because they think it’s a good idea. It usually isn’t and this is a prime example.
Any disagree’rs please advise!

I was taught to do a complete slow circle AND looking as the last thing to do before taking the runway.

Some of the blame likely is with the cessna pilot, as well. Although not REQUIRED to make those calls, it is a good idea to do so. I fly primarily from uncontrolled airports, and things run much better when people at least attempt to communicate.

+1

The rules are clear that you were the one responsible for seeing the traffic and giving way. HOWEVER, the guidelines recommend announcements for a good reason; We are all human and can only see and anticipate so much. While the Cessna pilot holds no legal blame, I believe he deserves having to go around in this case. Announcing pattern positions is recommended because it helps everyone (IMHO it helps a lot). If a pilot chooses not to make them, he/she should expect occasional issues like this.

In the air, I observe the landing field like a hawk. As I see another plane near the end of a runway, I immediately repeat my position and intentions with the assumption he was talking to his instructor and not listening before that.

Larry
Larry

My beef is with

...pilots who do a straight-in VFR approach when there are other planes in the traffic pattern. You know who you are, flying your RV into Oceano.... Grrrrr.

-Marc

I teach a lot of primary students from a towered field inside a Mode C veil, so everyone's got radios and ADS-B.....

...until we get to the practice area, part of which is outside the veil and well away from airspace where radios are required. Point being - there's traffic in the pattern that CANNOT make a radio call and they have every right to be there.

There are several things I'm trying to hammer into my student's heads (A Gift To The Law Of Primacy) about pattern work and radio calls. There are very few things I get dogmatic about but radio calls are on the list:

• Before takeoff, scan the final and bases (360 if you can) then think "Time, (start timer) for Lights (lights) Camera, (transponder), Action! (mixture)."
  • Be descriptive: "Downwind three-two" is hard to scan for. "Turning left downwind three-two" is much better. "Departing Runway <X>, <traffic direction or departure direction>" is more useful than "taking the active."
  • Despite the fact that no one can read your tail number in the air, people are going to say the tail number while flying. So add "Skyhawk" or "Experimental" or "Red and White Piper" or SOMETHING that gives a meaningful description to other pilots.
  • By base or final you should include intentions: full stop? stop and go? touch and go?
  • "Last Call" is unnecessary.
  • Instrument students: days where VFR MIGHT be in the pattern, don't make position calls relative to the approach. Meaningless to non-instrument pilots. Give direction and distance from the airport, and "full stop" or "low approach only." Saying you're over a fix is useless to a non-instrument-rated pilot.
  • Calling out other pilots errors on the radio is really poor etiquette and clutters the frequency. Do your thing.

Tongue-in-cheek-additions:
  • Cirruses will always fly a straight in even when there are 4 airplanes in the pattern.
  • Cirruses will fly the downwind at 120 knots.
  • Cirrus patterns will resemble a B-52.

(I joke, I have nothing against the Cirrus. It's a fine airplane.)

Above all, while we try and teach good, solid, quality communications, don't assume that even if the other guy's communications skills are good, that his radios are working. Or that he even knows it. The Mk1 eyeball rules all.

Last edited:
"Last call" and "Any traffic please advise" seems to be increasingly common at our non-towered airport that has a lot of training traffic from neighboring airports. Where did these radio calls come from and who is teaching them??

When a pilot broadcasts "Last Call"' what am I supposed to do...reply "Good riddance"? :D

I don't respond to "Traffic please advise" (almost always straight-in approaches), I just wait until it's time to make my next position report....I don't want to encourage bad behavior. ;)

When a pilot broadcasts "Last Call"' what am I supposed to do...reply "Good riddance"? :D

I've never heard this, thankfully. Sure sounds strange. Is this something they say after they've parked? Or in the air before changing from the CTAF to another frequency?

Tongue-in-cheek-additions:
  • Cirruses will always fly a straight in even when there are 4 airplanes in the pattern.
  • Cirruses will fly the downwind at 120 knots.
  • Cirrus patterns will resemble a B-52.

(I joke, I have nothing against the Cirrus. It's a fine airplane.)

I recall that used to be said about Bonanza's :)

Good points on the other stuff Bill.

"Final Call", "Last Call"... whatever is wasting available bandwidth.

...pilots who do a straight-in VFR approach when there are other planes in the traffic pattern. You know who you are, flying your RV into Oceano.... Grrrrr.

-Marc

Would you prefer I do an overhead break?

I've never heard this, thankfully. Sure sounds strange. Is this something they say after they've parked? Or in the air before changing from the CTAF to another frequency?

It's broadcasted as they are leaving the traffic area....maybe before they change frequencies. I've never been able to figure out what it accomplishes...

In the busy SoCal airspace, people sometimes do this when they change frequency while still in the general vicinity in order to talk to ATC for clearance or to transition in and out of the LAX VFR corridor.

It's broadcasted as they are leaving the traffic area....maybe before they change frequencies. I've never been able to figure out what it accomplishes...

Assuming best intent, it's to inform other traffic that you're no longer going to be participating.

It's not HELPFUL to do this in the context of other rules, but there you go.

The other one that gets me is when a pilot decides to play air traffic controller in the pattern. Far less common but highly amusing.

Heed the little voice . . . .

Thanks for the reminder Dan. I have seen things that remind me to look for incoming traffic before entering the active too.

Once at Marianna FL, I stopped for fuel, dead flat area, small building and a fuel tank. Taxing up to the runway (listening to the CTAF) I started to go to the hold short line and do my run-up but said a little voice said, just do it here on the taxiway, so I did. Then I announced and had not moved when a glider came over the threshold at 2 ft. I was stunned and kept the brakes on when looking to the left, immediately saw a second glider at 3 ft between me and the runway about 150 ft to my left. I saw a little wiggle in all axes as the pilot had an uncontrolled pucker/shiver. Waited until they were all clear, announced again, looked carefully, then took off. Hmmmm what could have happened?!?!

Practice approaches

As a long time instrument rated pilot, when I am flying my non IFR certified EAB in an area where I am not familiar, I don't want to hear xyx intersection. If traffic permits I will sometimes tell the offending aircraft.
In my VFR airplane I am frequently in an area where I am not familiar with the instrument approaches and I don't have any of that fancy equipment that can display the approach charts.

Terminology

There is at least one post on here where the proper terminology is used. TOWER OR NON TOWER AIRPORT!!!
Please consider NOT using the term uncontrolled airport. That immediately identifies you as Joe student pilot or inexperienced private pilot.
And PLEASE do not use "any traffic in the area please advise."

Joe Student here

There is at least one post on here where the proper terminology is used. TOWER OR NON TOWER AIRPORT!!!
Please consider NOT using the term uncontrolled airport. That immediately identifies you as Joe student pilot or inexperienced private pilot.

Sorry for the use in the title and second paragraph - Guess I am still "Joe Student" after 37 years and 1100 hours. I hope I am still learning things . . . .

Uncontrolled

I have very strong feelings about the uses of the term uncontrolled. I believe it is very damaging when non pilots hear the word.
Whether it is a high time airline pilot or a new student the word uncontrolled is unprofessional. It suggests to the non pilot that the airport and the airplanes are out of control. As a student of aircraft accidents since age 15 I frequently agree about the airplanes.
One new example is an EAB attempting to land on an unlighted runway well after dark. It did not turn out well.
Don't beat yourself up about errors that came out ok. Just try to learn from them.
I try to mentally review each flight, asking myself did I do anything unsafe etc.

Two Cents

First of all, Dan, great write up. I’ve said it before and I will say it again, most Notes, Warnings, and Cautions are written in blood. I think it’s great when we can all get a good lesson without the blood.

Second, I’m going to provide some unsolicited feedback. Some of you need to work on your debriefing skills. I flew fighters for a lot of years and FULLY appreciate the benefit of debriefing and constructive feedback. But I will tell you this, the flight lead who is a jerk in the debrief; a) is just a jerk and b) doesn’t understand human learning. No matter how good you are or how smart you are (and some of you guys are wicked smart) there is someone better and smarter. Play nice, we learned that in kindergarten.

“Last Call” - Frankly I think it’s extraneous comm. However, there is a fairly respected flight school with well over 50 locations nationwide, that teach their studs to say “Last Call” when departing an uncontrolled field (whether it has a tower or not). Again, not saying I agree with it but there may be some utility in it, although I really can’t think of any right now, but it may be here to stay.

Maybe we should just concentrate more on the awesome gift of slipping the surly bonds and try not to be quite so surly ourselves. Constructive feedback is awesome…..

Lastly, I second the overhead pattern plan. Makes way more sense than anything I see on the box pattern side although there is likely some utility to the box pattern as well.

Just remembered, one last, last thing. ADSB. We think people are too dependent on radio calls in the pattern. Give ADSB a little time and it will be the next discussion on close calls, “not only didn’t he say anything, he wasn’t even up with ADSB!” Happened in the military when we got good datalink, it’ll likely happen here.

Standing by….

Last edited:
"Last call" and "Any traffic please advise" seems to be increasingly common at our non-towered airport that has a lot of training traffic from neighboring airports. Where did these radio calls come from and who is teaching them??

I don't respond to "Traffic please advise" (almost always straight-in approaches), I just wait until it's time to make my next position report....I don't want to encourage bad behavior. ;)

I usually respond with how much traffic is backed up at the roundabout north of the airport! Unless it’s busy.

I have very strong feelings about the uses of the term uncontrolled. I believe it is very damaging when non pilots hear the word.
Whether it is a high time airline pilot or a new student the word uncontrolled is unprofessional. It suggests to the non pilot that the airport and the airplanes are out of control. As a student of aircraft accidents since age 15 I frequently agree about the airplanes.
One new example is an EAB attempting to land on an unlighted runway well after dark. It did not turn out well.
Don't beat yourself up about errors that came out ok. Just try to learn from them.
I try to mentally review each flight, asking myself did I do anything unsafe etc.

Sorry, "uncontrolled" is just a word that exactly describes a particular airport...or airspace. You may "feel" that it is unprofessional but that is just your feeling...

Been flying and instructing out of uncontrolled airports and uncontrolled airspace for 40 years; this is the first time anyone has commented that "uncontrolled" is unprofessional...

I don't know how to do this, myself, but I've never had a problem with someone doing it in the pattern. I see it all the time, and the entry works nicely with typical traffic patterns.

In context here, the solo overhead is no more or less safe. An overhead formation break can be a problem when lead doesn't see the still distant guy who just turned crosswind to base, and #4, who quite rightly was not looking outside the formation, subsequently discovers him while close up and in 60 degree bank.

Yeah, it happened right here at good 'ole 08A. The student pilot quit and never came back. The formation crew got an FAA talk.

But does it really? I'm sure you know that it used to be the commonly used terminology for an airport without an operating control tower.

It was changed at some point presumably because as several people here have mentioned, it could evokes the mental images of a mass chaos free for all.

It still pops up in the AIM in a place or two where they haven't gotten around to eradicating it.

FYI- I still find myself saying Airman's Information Manual from time to time vs. Aeronautical Information Manual (changed about a decade ago because evidently the FAA was woke before it was a thing).

Deeply ingrained habits are hard to break when it's something as silly and inconsequential at this.

But does it really? I'm sure you know that it used to be the commonly used terminology for an airport without an operating control tower.

It was changed at some point presumably because as several people here have mentioned, it could evokes the mental images of a mass chaos free for all.

I didn't even know the term was changed! I commonly call untowered fields uncontrolled. I guess I will have to watch my language.

Works both ways

Just remembered, one last, last thing. ADSB. We think people are too dependent on radio calls in the pattern. Give ADSB a little time and it will be the next discussion on close calls, “not only didn’t he say anything, he wasn’t even up with ADSB!” Happened in the military when we got good datalink, it’ll likely happen here.

Standing by….

Agree - its easy to let the traffic on the map substitute for the look outside. I have to slap myself periodically to keep from doing it :eek:.

Interesting though, about a year ago ADS-B traffic probably saved me from the exact situation I was in the other day - but with the roles reversed.

I was landing at a Non-Towered field and was making regular position reports as I came in. ADS-B traffic kept showing traffic down on the arrival end of the runway. I kept looking but couldn't see anything. I increased the frequency of my position reports but kept seeing the traffic target with no response on the radio. At some point well down on final, I still couldn't see anything but the ADS-B target was still there. I decided I didn't like the vibe so I went around (and announced it). Saw a helicopter on the deck as I went by. Next time around it (and the ADS-B target) were well off to the side.

After landing, I asked the guy at the FBO if he saw/heard what had transpired. He said "Oh yeah, heard you on the radio. Those guys do that stuff all the time". Turns out it was a new helicopter school and they typically never talked on the radio even though they spent time at low level on the end of the runway :eek:. According to the FBO guy, they had caused more than one aborted landing including some jets.

I didn't even know the term was changed! I commonly call untowered fields uncontrolled. I guess I will have to watch my language.

I've also heard that we should call them "Pilot controlled airfields" - which might be even worse than "Uncontrolled airfields" in some people's minds! :D

If we want to get into the FAA ‘word’ game, my least liked word is ‘non-movement area’, which is, of course, the area on a controlled (…er, I mean Towered) airport where you are most free to move!

Great reminder. I fly out of a fairly busy non-towered field with lots of students and practice activity (we have four instrument approaches into the field so lots of VFR and IFR students). I always do a 360 to look for traffic, verbalize my check of final, and announce my takeoff before I cross the hold short line and then wait for about three to five seconds to see if I get a response before heading to the runway. Glad you are all well!

Non Tower

There have recently been a series of really bad crashes into houses, cars and a couple most recently barely missing a house.
Santa Monica, Reid Hillview and Flying W in NJ are likely to close in the next few years.
If a member of the mainstream press hears the word uncontrolled and runs with it they can do a lot of damage. Maybe even hasten the closing of one of those airports.
Discontinuing the use of the words uncontrolled airport seems like such a simple thing and MAYBE it will help a bit with the anti airport crowd.

OK, It's My Turn

Dan,
I'll relay a similar story, but I was "that guy." Our airport (52F, under the DFW Class B shelf) is close enough to DFW, Alliance, and Denton that we try to align our runway 17/35 ops with the flow of traffic into those larger airports. Whenever the winds are due east or west (when the runway choice is 50/50), we take a look at the airliners overhead and check their flow (if nobody's already in our own traffic pattern). If they're landing to the north, we use Rwy 35.

On one beautiful day last spring with a 90-out easterly crosswind, I noted on FlightAware the local airports' traffic launching and landing to the North: That'd be Rwy 35 for us today. I taxied KELLI GIRL to my hangar row's hold-short line and checked the Rwy 35 approach path to my right for landing traffic (that's what traffic flow we should be on, right?). I had heard no radio traffic on 52F's non-towered pilot-controlled CTAF frequency, so I announced that I was crossing Rwy 35.

I gunned the engine and turned left for the slight chicane to the other side...and was horrified to see a C-172 had just landed opposite direction on Rwy 17! He locked up the brakes, blew the right main tire, and got her stopped just as I boogied the h*** off the runway at Charlie.

I helped them skate the airplane off the runway and to their hangar. I bought the flying club a new tire and tube plus labor, and offered to restock the beer fridge (they haven't taken me up on that offer, but they ought to).

My takeaways:

1) Whereas I had quite thoroughly checked which direction the traffic OUGHT to be moving, I totally blew off my parents' 1st grade lesson to look both ways before crossing the road. So basic, I know, but I can't defend in any way why I broke that one basic rule.

2) As we all came to a stop, I noticed that the Cessna's ADSB ping was indeed showing up on my Skyview ND. From now on I check that screen for traffic just as a QC info check on the traffic flow.

3) Look out the window! See item 1 above.

4) Why didn't I hear him on the radio? Who cares, it doesn't matter. Maybe he, or I, was on the wrong freq. Maybe my volume was down. I don't know, and none of that overrides Item 1 above.

I'm the former USAF Chief of Aviation Safety, and I just pulled one of the biggest, most basic, bonehead flight safety maneuvers of my aviation career. It was so easy to make this mistake, and I wasn't in any rush. I'd like to think I won't make it again now that I've humiliated myself in front of my wife (yes, Kelli was with me in KELLI GIRL) and friends.

But there's no disputing the bottom line: I endangered everyone's life and property. The buck stops here with me.

Presented in the spirit of the fighter debrief, for it's in the debrief that the lessons get learned. I present the virtual bottle of Jeremiah Weed...

Last edited:
Back