VAF Forums

VAF Forums (https://vansairforce.net/community/index.php)
-   RV-12/RV-12iS (https://vansairforce.net/community/forumdisplay.php?f=73)
-   -   Why are some RV12's EAB and some ELSA? (https://vansairforce.net/community/showthread.php?t=166044)

dabney 11-15-2018 12:05 PM

Why are some RV12's EAB and some ELSA?

I am looking to buy an RV12 and have been told I could run into ones that are registered as EAB or ELSA.

What are the differences in ownership/operation etc?

When I asked one owner of a RV12 about the Operating Limitations, he said there were none. Is that possible?

Mich48041 11-15-2018 12:16 PM

The main difference for you is that if the plane is registered as E-AB, you must hire an A&P to do the annual inspection (unless the builder does it). If it is registered as E-LSA, then you can do the annual inspection yourself after taking a 16 hour class and getting a repairman's certificate.
There must be operating limitations.
It it is wise to have a pre-buy inspection by someone like Vic Syracuse.

Mel 11-15-2018 12:36 PM

Builder's choice. To qualify as ELSA the aircraft must be built exactly per plans and all parts must be purchased from the kit manufacturer.
Some people prefer to make minor or major modifications during the build. Or in some cases they may already have an engine or avionics and prefer to install these as opposed to ordering new from Vans. The builder my opt for EAB so that he/she doesn't have to go to class to obtain the repairman certificate. EAB can be modified to take it out of the Light-Sport parameters. ELSA cannot. There can be a multitude of reasons.
EAB is not necessarily better or worse than ELSA. Just different.

rolivi 11-15-2018 12:42 PM

Hey Mel -

Is it true that the classification at first Airworthiness is the only one that can ever be? Meaning, it's either S-LSA or E-LSA forever.

There's a conversation on some other forum about this, and I thought there was only one chance to select.

Thanks.

Mel 11-15-2018 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rolivi (Post 1302743)
Hey Mel -
Is it true that the classification at first Airworthiness is the only one that can ever be? Meaning, it's either S-LSA or E-LSA forever.
There's a conversation on some other forum about this, and I thought there was only one chance to select.
Thanks.

If it is EAB, it's forever. If it's ELSA, it's forever. If it's SLSA it may be changed to ELSA.

Piper J3 11-15-2018 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mel (Post 1302746)
If it is EAB, it's forever. If it's ELSA, it's forever. If it's SLSA it may be changed to ELSA.

And if SLSA is changed to ELSA it is forever - no going back...

randylervold 11-15-2018 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Piper J3 (Post 1302756)
And if SLSA is changed to ELSA it is forever - no going back...

That?s actually not true. If you can get the manufacturer (Van?s) to do a full conformity inspection, and the aircraft hasn?t been changed in any way so that it does actually conform, then a new SLSA airworthiness certificate can be issued. Just not very practical.

DaleB 11-15-2018 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by randylervold (Post 1302760)
That?s actually not true. If you can get the manufacturer (Van?s) to do a full conformity inspection, and the aircraft hasn?t been changed in any way so that it does actually conform, then a new SLSA airworthiness certificate can be issued. Just not very practical.

Yep. Theoretically possible, probably not ever actually done.

There's no path from E-LSA to E-AB because E-LSA does not have a 51% amateur built requirement.

rvbuilder2002 11-15-2018 03:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabney (Post 1302729)

When I asked one owner of a RV12 about the Operating Limitations, he said there were none. Is that possible?

No one has answered this part of your question.

No it is not possible. Even SLAS's have operating limitations.

Perhaps he lost them.

Mel 11-15-2018 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dabney (Post 1302729)

Sorry, I missed that part of the question. Like Scott says, Operating Limitations are issued as part of the Airworthiness Certificate and must be in the airplane during any and all operations.