What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Started my build

lipper03

Builder RV14A & ZA750SD
Benefactor
Hey all, I got my extra parts for vert stab and rudder today, so started my build! Lot's of fun, though Van's looks to have sent the wrong vert stab skin, my ordered part number is correct, but I don't think they sent the correct part.

Part #

Hey all, I got my extra parts for vert stab and rudder today, so started my build! Lot's of fun, though Van's looks to have sent the wrong vert stab skin, my ordered part number is correct, but I don't think they sent the correct part.

Helps a lot if you post the plans part number and the part number Vans sent. A photo also helps. If memory serves, it has an RV7 VS.

part ordered

Ordered VS-801PP (Vertical Stabilizer Skin). What I got, well the the label was under gorilla tape, so don't know what it was labeled. But it's taller and not as deep as what I need, plus there are cut outs, looks like to roll an edge.

I looked at a few other vert stab skins to see if I could match it, but in my short search I didn't.

Attachments

• IMG_3270.jpg
    IMG_3270.jpg
    391.9 KB · Views: 124
Ordered VS-801PP (Vertical Stabilizer Skin). What I got, well the the label was under gorilla tape, so don't know what it was labeled. But it's taller and not as deep as what I need, plus there are cut outs, looks like to roll an edge.

I looked at a few other vert stab skins to see if I could match it, but in my short search I didn't.

Mistakes do happen. Send a picture to Vans builder support and they will send out the correct part. It happens to everybody. On the plus side, you will probably get the keep the bad part and you can use it as extra scrap sheet metal for other stuff.

Thanks, yes already did that. Not upset, easy mistake, without measuring and looking closely it can be missed, until you put it up against where it's supposed to fit. I'm sure they will take care of it, in the meantime working on section 7.

Interesting. Now I really want to know what that skin is for...

Edit: Oh, that's a rudder skin, probably R-801PP. Notice how there are a lot more chordwise rivet lines compared to the stab skeleton - those are for the stiffeners.

Last edited:
Interesting. Now I really want to know what that skin is for...

Edit: Oh, that's a rudder skin, probably R-801PP. Notice how there are a lot more chordwise rivet lines compared to the stab skeleton - those are for the stiffeners.

Yeah you are right, it's the R-801PP for the RV-8, that drawing looks like the part I got. And VS-801PP is close and my order had both VS and R parts, so easy to get a R-801PP instead of a VS-801PP.

Back