What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Showplanes Cowling with Hartzell Composite Prop and Spinner

keith6261

Looking for help with Hartzell model numbers for composite prop and spinner that will fit the Showplanes cowing with a Lycoming IO360 180HP. Thanks

I have this combo I am just building now

From Hartzell: C-3533 Spinner Assembly to meet the Showplanes cowl dimensions . This Spinner Assembly is nearly 14.9” in diameter and is non polished. There is also the chrome polished version sorry not sure of that part number, contact Hartzell or Vans if required

It will require the addition of a A-2476-48 spinner mounting kit.

The hartzell composite prop I bought through Vans is G2YR/N7605W-2X it has the extended hub that is required with the Showplanes cowl.

Rgs Chad

Looking for help with Hartzell model numbers for composite prop and spinner that will fit the Showplanes cowing with a Lycoming IO360 180HP. Thanks

I just installed this prop/spinner on my engine/prop upgrade. I used the part numbers from the Vans site (G2YR/N7605W-2X for the prop and D-4798P for the spinner(polished)) and am using the standard Vans cowl. I found the adjustments on the spinner to set the gap on the cowl very simple and accommodating. This prop comes with the extended hub required two avoided any interference with the cowl.

If you need me to measure anything, send me a PM.

Last edited:
I'm working through the same configuration. How much is the hub extension? Is it 2.5" or less? Have you finished fitting the showplanes cowl with the G2YR/N7605W-2X prop and what problems did you run into?

Waiting for a response as I am in the same boat. BTW, I'll be flying my RV14 to CS next month to visit my daughter, any suggestions about where to fly in and out of and possible hangar?

The G hub extension, which is one inch longer than the stock C hub, with the N7605() blades was configured to be used in conjunction with the D-4798(P) spinner when installed with the stock RV-8 cowling due to the cowling's unique shape in order to prevent cowling interference issues with the wide blades at high pitch. Effectively, the G hub moves the blades forward and then the D-4798(P) negates some of that movement such that the cowling to blade spacing is increased.

The available integral extension needed to mimic a 2.5" extension over stock as specified by Showplanes would be an M extension, i.e. HC-M2YR-1()X/(), which is nominally 2.563" longer than stock.

The C-3533(-1)(P) spinner provides similar spacing between the blades and the aft edge of the spinner as the G hub/D-4798(P) combo at the increased diameter for the Showplanes cowling. I am unsure as to the specific geometry of the Showplanes cowling, and whether this clearance would be adequate.

Back