What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Moondog (the VansAirForce.net mascot)

DeltaRomeo

doug reeves: unfluencer
Staff member

Our sweet, gentle 17yr old chihuahua Moondog passed over the holiday - he was hurting and his kidneys couldn't help anymore. We ended up having him put down Thanksgiving day.

He was a wonderful dog, a good friend, and was there through thick and thin for over a decade and a half. I jokingly called him the mascot of this site more than a few times. He was a real comfort, and Susie and I have holes in our hearts.

Rest in Peace sweet, gentle, caring Moondog.

VAFDR_%201300%20Nov.%2027%2008.49.jpg

VAFDR_%201301%20Nov.%2027%2008.53.jpg

VAFDR_%201307%20Nov.%2027%2009.11.jpg

I know how much this hurts, Doug.

Dogs must feel like they live among immortals, their lifespans so short in comparison to the companionship they offer their families.

Condolences from over this way.

Sorry for the loss Doug and Susie - try to dwell on all the good years you had with little Moondog!

Moondog

Our deepest condolences. We have been through that loss more than once. Eventually, you will be ready and the next "MoonDog" will adopt you.

Amelia (Mia) is our baby.
20211003_151915.jpg

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that, Thanksgiving is a lousy time to have to put down a pet.

We had the same thing happen on Thanksgiving 3 years ago with our Aussie mix.

Moondog

We certainly know just how devastating it is to lose our pet friends. Our hearts are broken for you. Even if they live a great, long life, it's never long enough.

17 years is a dang good run! Condolences to the four of you, making that decision on a holiday is no fun (put our last Golden down on Christmas Eve).

Doug and Susie------I too know what you are going through. 1 year after Suzanne's passing her dog had a massive stroke, and I had to put him down. He was a fabulous companion to her, and to me after her passing. I took part of his cremated remains along with some of hers to Hawaii last year to Kaena Point and spread them to the wind. They will always be together.

You too will always have the memories of your companion.

Tom

So sorry to hear about your loss Doug. We lost of beloved golden last Thanksgiving from kidney failure. It was surprisingly difficult. We still miss her dearly.

Michael-

Good Byes

Doug and Suzi,

Sorry to hear about MoonDog. Having to make that final decision is horrible.

I just had to put my 12.5 year old Aussie down last week. He was my airport dog as well.

I'm sure you're as heartbroken as I am.

All the best,

Laird

Attachments

• Reef.jpg
    Reef.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 80
Last edited:
An incredibly painful event

Our thoughts and prayers are with you each day as you work through this moment

My most sincere condolences. I know that pain far too well. I can only hope that your pain be eventually replaced by fond memories.

There's nothing we can say that makes losing a friend any easier. They just don't live long enough!

Marc and Rita

Doug and Susan,
Kelli and I know how tough it is to lose your friend. We miss Snoopy, our original Lab hangar pup. The VanCave won't be the same.

Moondog was awesome!

So sorry, Doug. Dogs are our best friends, and although I never met him, Moondog was special.

Our Baxter, an adopted CockerPoo, is our seventh dog during our 52 years of marriage.

Our hearts hurt with yours.

Sorry to hear this Doug. Dogs become part of the family and give us all their love, trust and devotion. Moondog was lucky to have such a loving family.

Dogs

What an amazing gift dogs are for us humans. My family has always had dogs. Every 6-15 years you have to go through that horrible horrible time where you have to say good bye and its so hard. Sorry to hear, but sounds like you had an amazing bunch of years with an amazing buddy. All the best to you and your family. :(

Moondog

Brings tears to my eyes when we lose a member of our family. Prayers for your loss Doug & Susie.
Fly High Moondoggie

Sorry for the loss of Moondog. I feel for all of you. Several years after loosing my first dog (it felt like I had lost a limb) I was finally emotionally able to adopt an Aussie puppy. Man's best friend.

Doug and Susie, We feel for you right now. We went through this when we had to say goodbye to our 16 year old Jack Russel a few years ago. She used fly with us a lot in the RV10. Mans best friend - full stop.:mad:

Your loss is too real to us....

We lost our Chica girl on Dec 2nd, 2020. I know because I wrote it in my Bible.
We got her at a flea market in Brownsville, TX. She was born in Chihuahua, MX. We enjoyed her for 14 years. We give them the best lives we can and look back on fond memories. Bye Moondog, Bye Chica.

Attachments

• IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    139.2 KB · Views: 77
  • DSCF0005.JPG
    DSCF0005.JPG
    324.5 KB · Views: 85
  • DSCF0007.JPG
    DSCF0007.JPG
    326.3 KB · Views: 78
  • DSCF0002.JPG
    DSCF0002.JPG
    329.2 KB · Views: 76
So sad

Our hearts are out to you.. Moondog may run into our beloved Scooby in doggie heaven, and they will have some stories to tell!

Attachments

• Scooby RV.jpg
    Scooby RV.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 90
Our furry companions ….

I feel you pain. Had to put down my wired hair Dachsund of 16years earlier this year. I miss him every day and second guess my decision every time I think about him. To this day when I come thru the back door I look down to see if he’s there.

Moondog

Rest in peace Moondog. You gave so much more than you took. A world without dogs is a place I wouild never want to live. To your loving family, I am so sorry for your loss. I pray to our heavenly father that we will be united with all our pets when the time comes.

Will Rogers Quote

“If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went.”

Back