What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Show us the status of your 8/8A project!

Getting close to finishing the empennage:

rudder and VS done (except fiberglass)

35425218393_0dc583a7d1_z.jpg

just bent the L elevator skin tab today (not as bad as I thought) - elevators are ready for riveting:

36190032376_b9785c679d_z.jpg

Wing kit to ship 6/6

Thomas

Last edited:
Matched Hole...just too easy

All fiberglass tips installed with #4 or #6 screws and nutplates.
3010cv.jpg
3029wf.jpg

This thing practically fell together in a few weeks of part time work. The vertical stab was built in just one day not counting waiting for the interior primed parts to dry. Matched hole...just too easy.

Rick Galati (pre matched hole) RV-6A "Darla" 58 hours
RV-8A empennage done

Testing Picture Posting....

OK, OK, I'll join the 21st century and see if I can post a picture....

img03366cc.jpg

Almost ready for inspection! :D

Paul Dye

Which RV?

Looks like you could not decide which type of RV to buy, so you
got both - the flying type and the camping type! :)

Nice looking 8 - please post some more pictures.

Keeping with the spirit of this thread, here's my latest status. Notice that mean looking MT prop!

(click for full story and larger images)

Last edited:
OK, here are a few more Mickey...

I think I've got this figured out now...of course, the outside looks like the outside of any other unpainted RV-8, so here are some interior shots:

Left side of the cockpit...

cockpitleft8mo.jpg

Right side of the cockpit...

cockpitright1ax.jpg

A Shot of the DJ Lauritsen Interior....

upholstery1mq.jpg

And the panel I put on another thread!

Oh, the four-wheeled RV belongs to my "Ex", who is letting me use it as a break room during assembly work at the airport - very nice, except that the 15 Amp circuit at the hanagr can't support the A/C and the shop air compressor at the same time....but it's nice to have a restroom, soft couch, and a place to keep drawings!

Paul Dye

I would like to post a photo of my panel but can't seem to figure out how to insert a file from "my photos". Can anyone assist?

Anyone for a race at the river? Wheather is warming up! Well she's on her own. It has taken longer than I anticipated due to other life chores but it is coming along. Since this pic I have made some floor parts, ran the rudder cables and started the fab on the flooring.

:) Happy fly-in season to all and I'll be there one day.

Last edited by a moderator:
Hey look, wings...

Getting closer, finally... still have a million things to do, but looks like it might actually fly one day.
rv8417bh7.jpg

rv8423mt6.jpg

John

That's looking great John! Congrats on it looking like an airplane - and obviously being at an airport!

Paul

Yep, being at an airport certainly helps! I think the neighborhood kids are a bit disappointed that I'm not going to fly it away from the street out front...

RV-8A - New builder website

Hello fellow builders -

Well, I've been working on my tail for a long time - like 2 years! Ugh - family and work has been taking a toll on the ole project. I've recently gotten back into it again - with some motivation from my local builder/friends.

I have a website - and I hope it helps others...

http://www.chubchub.com/index.php?topic=rv8a

Hope to hear from you.
-john romero

Fastback update

Cliff reviewing his new larger baggage locker.
The Fastback conversion and a Mod to the rear baggage compartment has given us the room to fit the chair.
Now that I know how to attach the photos, I will post another one next month.

Safe Flying

Mark

p1012312hf2.jpg

Flipped fuselage,installed ejection seat

We flipped the fuselage today ; one of my helpers Lt Col (ret) Earl McCurdy thought we should install the F101 Voodoo seat I have in the shop. My brother (right) and I gave it a valiant effort but it would appear some adjustments are required for a proper fit. :D Earl flew the F 101 during his career with the RCAF.

rv8seatha3.jpg

Too Cool!!

Paul Tuttle said:
We flipped the fuselage today ; one of my helpers Lt Col (ret) Earl McCurdy thought we should install the F101 Voodoo seat I have in the shop. My brother (right) and I gave it a valiant effort but it would appear some adjustments are required for a proper fit. :D Earl flew the F 101 during his career with the RCAF.

rv8seatha3.jpg

Let's see, what would it take to make some headrests that LOOK like the top portion of an ejection seat....imagine an -8 with those! ;)

Congrats on flipping the canoe Paul...now you can relaly get started with the fun stuff - wiring!

Paul

RV-8 status

Been working on wiring and installing avionics for months and months. Got my BMA G4 unit and installed it next to the EFIS/ONE. Panel is complete(except for wiring and SL30 and Xponder install.)
dscn2915ev3.jpg

Aussie RV8A Fastback continues

p1013368zv6.jpg
p1013379rv2.jpg
p1013372iv0.jpg

G'Day all,

Our RV8A Fastback continues. As you can see we are still making a couple of modifications. If you have seen our previous post, we have made a little progress following the aft baggage compartment modification for the wheelchair.
I guess some will look at the side of the fuselage and say ?what the?? Well this is to give Cliff easier access to the cockpit (door to be fitted soon). Yes aeronautical engineers in Sydney have crunched the numbers, this is not a modification taken lightly.
The aircraft is being designed to be flown by a paraplegic, so hand controls, wheelchair storage and access have been looked at during the entire project.
I am expecting the completion of the door mod by Christmas, then on to the hand control.
This will be similar to a helicopter collective, with a couple of changes. Up down for rudder control with elec trim switch, twist grip throttle and differential brake control. Yep a few hours in this one too.
After all these mods it will still have the same controls for able-bodied pilots. I still prefer the pedals and a throttle quadrant. Sorry Cliff.
Will post again soon

Safe Flying

Mark

Fuselage Arrived!

I finished up the wings last Wednesday. Thanks to Harland and George from Santa Fe for the help hanging the left one when they came and picked up my wing stands.

I've got the wingtip lenses done and the position lights (copies of Jeff Bordelon's) nearly finished. The empennage fiberglass is done with the exception of the HS tips.

More importantly--The fuselage kit arrived last night!!! I had time to rip open the crates and take a bit of a look. I also looked at the plans and instructions. The new RV-8 plans are beautiful works. The instructions for the fuse went from 28 pages to 81! Nice job Van's!

113820784-L.jpg

Slow Build a Roll'in

It looked like this Thread needed another update. Its cold in the garage but things are still getting done with family choices and the holidays approaching. I need to finish up the top cover and I'll flip the fuse for landing gear and belly skins.

I need to prep/prime the seat backs still.

seats006nf6.jpg

Another view of the aft cover on. Enjoy.

midfuse006xk7.jpg

I'll post again when something significant happens.

Bruce Gray
RV8 #81745

I know kind of lame but take note of the D#%* gearboxes. They are clecoed in place and ready for riveting tomorrow when my dad comes over. They really sucked but came out real good and fit in place very unlike an OJ glove!

Last edited:
All the interior sheetmetal is done, the new raised turtledeck is done, the modified forward skin and canopy rails are done, forward baggage door is done, and the mount tab strips for 1/4 cowl fasteners are fabricated. Almost time shoot some interior paint.

briand said:
I must rock too then!
If I were a betting man I would wager that you're not married. :D

Very cool though. I'm always inspired by folks who don't let the little things get in the way. One thing I cannot stand is excuse makers -- people saying they can't do something for some lame-arse reason. You are most certainly not one of those folks.

Maybe we should start a thread titled "Show us your bizarre building location". :cool:

Got a lot done this week!

Well, after what seems like a month of edge finishing and deburring 28 wing ribs, I took a week off to prime, and rivet the skeleton. Here's a few pictures pre- and during prime. I have learned one thing during this project...priming is almost as bad as edge finishing and deburring 28 wing ribs!

I love GOLD!
img0697uy4.jpg

Ahhhh! The art (read PITA) of Priming!
img0698ds7.jpg

Done with the first main spar!! Abbey asked to check out our work. The other guy is my bucking partner Jeremy.
img0703hz1.jpg

Finally done with the main spars all riveted and the rear spar clecoed on. Out of 140 rivets, we had to drill only one out! We will do yours for 30 bucks an hour plus expenses!
img0704iv9.jpg

Finally, Abbey somehow found her way to the top of my bench. She's checking out a days worth of work...
img0707pg4.jpg

AirVenture 2011...HERE I COME!!!

BTW, our squadron is bringing a few T-38s to Oshkosh up from Columbus AFB for some flyovers and static. Drop by and say hello!

Congrats Craig

Glad to help you. Its looking good. I've almost got my RV-8A landing gear weldments on. Oh what a chore. I hear that the only thing worse is the canopy.

David Lynch :)

Why spend extra for a Quickbuild?

From this:

March 17, 2007

fuse00420ne1.jpg

To this:

May 26, 2007

fuselageassembly21220cw3.jpg

To this:

July 22, 2007

canopyskirt03620zg7.jpg

fuselageassembly21720km5.jpg

All floors completely removable using nutplates. Akzo epoxy primed. Fuel system, cockpit adjustable rudder pedals, aileron boots, autopilot servos, throttle quadrant, ELT, and Infinity grip rigged with 2 axis electric trim and flap switch installed and tested. Working almost entirely alone, the fuselage rotator is a modified J.C. Whitney engine stand. It helps.

Empennage: 3 weeks
Wings: 9 weeks
Fuselage to date: 16 weeks

Last edited:
I had previously posted to this thread regarding the Showplanes fastback kit. Here is a picture of the fitted canopy frame with the latch linkage installed, something not shown on Bryan's site.

The supplied linkage parts are first class; excellent weldments and some very nice hardware (like the trick outside latch lever, not shown in this photo).

Today I sprayed the inside, one tie coat of PPG DPLF epoxy primer followed by a spray coat of K36 followed by a hand rub coat of K36 to kill pinholes. Back to sanding.......

Shot at 2007-07-04

Roll Out

This morning, a minor milestone occurred when I rolled the RV-8 project out of the garage to see its first light of day. Fitted with Grove Airfoil gear, the standard fuselage kit was delivered 134 days ago on March 17 and the finish kit followed a few weeks later.

rollout01915bi0.jpg
IMG]
rollout02215la1.jpg
rollout02515ag8.jpg

Last edited:
Roll Out

Congrats! Keep up the good work.

Advise on the wire looms on the cross braces at the top of the gear towers; they're gonna grow and GROW as you add your avionics, engine sensor runs, EFIS and autopilot etc., etc. You'll need larger adel clamps and you'll probably replace 100 ty-raps as they grow.

Maybe you plan to keep each run separate. If so, disregard above.

Try to do as much wiring as you can before putting upper skin on.

I made a large door (tried to keep it structural) on the bulkhead between the instrument pannel and the firewall. It's hinged on the bottom and ringed with #8 nutplates and screws at the top and sides That way I can access the rear of the instrument pannel from the forward baggage comp. Sure has come in handy as I piddle with new toys. I ordered a new bulkhead from Van's, cut the original smaller and added nutplates. Made the new one larger to lap the original for the screws. It has the stiffeners like the original for rigidity.

I made the door before installing the bulkhead and skin.

Looked closer at your pics. Looks like you've already made up a door.
What's the old saying? Look twice before engaging fingers on keyboard????

Last edited:
I need to get my butt in gear. I'm uh "temporarily-retired" and can't seem to catch up.
Too much on my mind I guess.

access panels

Rick - the small access panels are a very clever idea - I've never seen them there before.

rv8ch said:
Rick - the small access panels are a very clever idea - I've never seen them there before.
Mickey:

I just can't stand to close up anything permanently. It's a sickness.

fwdbaggage12215vy4.jpg

New wing in Beaverton

I thought I should share. I hope to have both wings finished by the end of the summer

Kerry Stevens

img2795vl4.jpg

fuel tanks done!!!

After what seemed like months, I am finally finished with my fuel tanks and they are leak free. Actually it was months on and off as my first log entry on fuel tanks was back in April of this year.
I did them per the plans and have no regrets. I used capacitence fuel probes and a flop tube in the left tank for acro, etc. I also installed a return line that runs out to the 3rd bay for fuel injection. Also, I bought screws that allowed me to use safety wire on the inspection cover - just seamed like a good idea and lot of the big airplane boys do it.

I am obviously very happy to come through one of the hardest parts of the build realitively unscathed.

FP23082007A0001A.jpg

FP13082007A0002F.jpg

FP22082007A00007.jpg

Last edited:
The Twins

Here's the status of the 2 quickbuilds delivered the last week of March 07.
82688 on the left is about a week ahead of 82688 on the right due to the avionics have been purchased for only one. Everything else on both planes is at the same construction status. Winding up the wiring so as to commence canopy work.

Back