What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Thoughts on the SDS CPI2

akschu

Well Known Member
Patron
Just a quick note to anyone on the fence:

After spending entirely too much time trying to decide which ignition system to run I finally decided on the CPI2 for the following reasons:

• Electronics not attached to a hot vibrating engine.
  • Ability to define my own timing.
  • Ability to add more timing for LOP operations with a button.

Well, I have it on hand now and have the following observations:

• Machining/anodizing is at Airflow Performance levels of quality, which is to say very very good.
  • Attention to detail is very good. Even to to point of having a little standoff for the RS-232 cable to rest on.
  • The kit is very complete. Every little thing you need to install is included.
  • The wiring is very high quality, though I wish there was something better than molex connectors on the ECU.

I'm probably a year from flying at this point because I still need to build the firewall forward and paint/fabric, but I did want to get this now before more price increases and because I'm starting to put holes in my firewall. I'll update once I'm flying, but it was refreshing to open a box and have it be even nicer than expected.

I’ve been flying with a dual SDS CPI2 for over a year now.

Hot starts on my IO-360 are a thing of the past.

The buttonology of the display/controller mounted on my panel is very user friendly.

My engine idles very smoothly.

Barry and Ross are really great to work with.

You will love flying with the SDS CPI2. Installed in my RV-6A with and IO-360

Cooler CHT's

Starts much easier

Ability to set timings

Great support from Ross and Barry

Issue free and great flying for over a year so far

The SDS CPI2 system has been working so well that I also installed in my RV-10 project with an IO-540.

Back