What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Torque tube sub assembly

Jskyking

Well Known Member
I had to leave the shop the other day with this task left unattended. I performed the final torque on ends of the subassembly torque tubes for the right wing without needing any adjustments.

Moving to the left wing, I final torqued one side the. Moved to other. When I did the final torque, the bolt had a little over 1 thread showing, and it needed at least 3 to 5 threads . I didn’t check the opposing bolt, due to time constraints.

Since the lateral dimension of the subassembly is fixed per the plans at 17 3/4 “ to 17 25/32 “, I’m hopeful that I can loosen one nut and tighten the other, attaining the requisite threads exposed for both sides.

I won’t return to the shop til Tuesday, but I’m hoping this is a quick fix and loosening one end while tightening the other works out.

Any thoughts? Thanks. Jt
CA75145D-5A95-4D76-987F-A9CA1DE13558.jpg

If the nuts are fully torqued, I suspect that the aft support would flex enough to bottom out. In other words, if I am following correctly I don’t think you can back off on one side and find extra thread surface on the other.
I would first verify that the washer is indeed a 0432 and not an 0463 - I have had them get mixed up... Second verify that there is no washer beneath the bearing taking up thread length. I haven't heard of it but the thread length could be off. I would verify the washer stack up first.

I had an issue with the shaft of the assembly not seating all the way, it was too fat. Resulting in it being about 1/8 of an inch from seating. After consulting with Vans I ended up using some fine sand paper and reducing the diameter of the shaft to allow it to sit all the way. I then used an alodine pen on the exposed metal and later some grease also to prevent corrosion.

Attachments

• 20210203_123712.jpg
    20210203_123712.jpg
    100.6 KB · Views: 208
Last edited:
I though I had updated the WIKI with this so thanks for the reminder. Your thread is now enshrined in the WIKI. :)

See signature for link.

Thanks Pete, I’ll take a look at the gap. On first glance it looked ok, but I’ll take a closer look.
Jt

Back