Ironflight

VAF Moderator / Line Boy
Mentor
Well, four days after having a main gear tire go down during landing (and grinding off about an inch of wheel pant), the -8 is fully flight-ready once again. As a matter of fact, I took it around the pattern just before sunset! It didn?t really take that much total time to do the work ? it?s just the waiting time for fiberglass to cure that took most of the week. Here are a few things I learned along the way (Remember, I built a metal airplane because I consider myself a novice at glass-work. Some of this will be glaringly obvious to those folks who?ve built plastic airplanes?)

1) The best place to find tires and tubes in my experience is Desser ? call ?em up, tell ?em what you need, and two days later, UPS drops them at your door ? no shipping charges above the price of the merchandise! I went with the Michelin tubes that everyone recommends.

2) Yeah, I know it?s not my native north-country, but it?s winter in Texas too (that means it is below 60 degrees at night?), so cure times out at the hangar with West Systems ?fast? catalyst are about six hours. That actually works out OK ? get up with the cows, drive to the airport, prep and glass for about a half hour, then go to work. After work, back to the airport for another layer or task. If you?re lucky, you can get another coat in about the time of the late news?that?s how I get it done quick!

3) There is still no substitute for power tools. I use a sanding disk on an angle-die grinder for major surgery, and an Orbital Sander with 120 grit for surface shaping. Final smoothing with 220 on a Mouse sander. I figure I?ll let the paint shop do the finish sanding before they paint.

4) The bottom curve of the wheel pant (mine was ground down about an inch) can be reshaped by taking a piece of peel-ply and taping it under the pant with a slight sag. This forms a female mold that you can lay glass inside (assuming the pant is right side up, and of course, you have the front half off). Lay your impregnated glass inside on the peel-ply, and overlap a sufficient amount to give structural integrity. When dry, turn it over, rip off the peel-ply, and add dry micro (I like peanut-butter consistency) to take it out to the mold line. When that is cured, use the Orbital sander to get the final shape. Once you like the shape, add a final layer of resin to make a hard finish, and sand that with the finish sander to give a nice, pinhole-free surface.

5) If, like me, you ground away the edges of the wheel opening in the pant, use the same technique as above with the peel-ply as a mold on the outside. Make it longer than necessary, and trim it when re-mounting.

6) Wheel clearances were discussed the other day in a thread, and all I can tell you for sure is mine weren?t big enough! Mine were about the width of a little finger. They are now about a thumb! I sure as heck don?t want to have THIS happen again!

7) I heard the pump on my West Systems gallon can of resin suck air as I mixed the last batch of epoxy ? I started that can at the start of the airplane project, so a gallon will build an -8, and do some repairs afterwards?.

8) Fitting the pant and checking the clearances is a lot quicker and easier if you use clecos instead of screws to temporarily mount it to check the fit (duh!! Like I shouldn?t have known that?). Silver clecos work perfect in #6 nut plates.

9) I figured out one thing I forgot the first time that might have been a strong contributor to my tire failure, since what I found was a razor-like slit in the sidewall. When I finished the wheel openings the first time, I neglected to smooth the edges of the openings when they were done?you know, when you get close to flying, you get fixated on the end! Take the time (once you have the clearance you want), to take them off and sand the edges just the way you would a piece of aluminum. No, it?s not to prevent cracks, it is to make an edge much less likely to slit the tire if you DO get contact! Mine are now nice and round.

OK, so much for confession, and with all this epoxy dust in what is left of my hair, I feel I have done enough penance?. :rolleyes:

May you not have to need any of this information! ;)

Paul

Just a note for us in the north and need to fiber glass in winter ... I use a 500W work light to heat the epoxy cans (just watch it, as it will heat up in 10 to 15 mins at 5" from the light) and another 500W work light to heat the work object ... also keep the work object light between 12 and 18 inchs from the work object any closer you will get alot of air pockets in the finish as the epoxy out gasses during curing. I've been able to glass in temps down to 20deg F and it still cures within 3 to 4 hours. :rolleyes:

Good Tip!

That's really good to know! I forgot to mention that I left a work light with a 60 watt bulb in the wheel pant overnight - I was afraid to use anymore than that (and leave it unattended), but it really only raised the temps a few degrees. Good to know that you can use a lot more than that safely!

Paul

I have to make a wheel pant too -- and I don't know the first thing about fiberglass

Can someone tell me exactly what I need to order from Spruce?

I have the two halves + the intersection fairing that I bought from Van's. I know I need glass and the resin but I don't know what to order. There seems to be several kinds of glass fabric and even more kinds of chemicals.

Thanks in advance.

bruce
N297NW

My fiberglass supplies....

Bruce,

I went with all West Systems, becasue they are really easy for me to use (I love their proportioning pumps), and easy to get. Before you order from Spruce, see if you have a Boat US or West Marine close by - much easier to get locally if you can! Here is what I keep on hand:

#105 Resin
#205 Fast Hardener
310/303 Pump pack
#406 filler (for substantial filling
#407 Filler (for lightweight filling)
#405 filler/bond (for bonding)
Some fiberglass cloth and tape (read the ACS catalog for what best fits what you're doing).
Some peel-ply (or steal some dacron scraps from a friendly rag-wing builder)
Paper cups, upholstery foam chunks for applying resin to cloth, popsicle sticks for mixing.
And don't forget a box of latex gloves from Home Depot!!

The rest is sanding and shaping - use what you like in terms of material removal - I like power tools, some like to do it by hand. And if you know a plastic airplane builder, get him to show you how (and believe his words over mine...I'm an amatuer...)!

Paul