gmcjetpilot

Well Known Member
HOW DOES THE STALL VANE (like a Piper) work with the G3X and Intercom?

Note: I am NOT the builder owner but built RV's since late 80's, and never with Garmin. I am the Additional Pilot and CFI helping owner. The plane was built per Van's plans. I called Garmin and was told Van has some "configurations" for the G3X that Garmin is not up on. Just throwing it out there what Garmin told me. I have not talked to Van's. Again not my plane but helping.

On the ground, with Avionics on, headset on, lifting the vane does nothing.
Doing AOA Cal today if air is smooth.
Plane has G3X, GTX remote transponder and panel mounted Garmin COM/Intercom, and two axis autopilot. I believe it is a GTR 200.

In the previous flight we did slow flight and approached stall, got a "AIRSPEED" aural warning. So there is audio from the G3X.

Suggestions on what to check. The owner did build plane, but I recall he had someone help him wire the avionics. All the avionics and autopilot are working as advertised. No complaints, just the stall vane aural warning.

HOW DOES THE STALL VANE (like a Piper) work with the G3X and Intercom?

Note: I am NOT the builder owner but built RV's since late 80's, and never with Garmin. I am the Additional Pilot and CFI helping owner. The plane was built per Van's plans. I called Garmin and was told Van has some "configurations" for the G3X that Garmin is not up on. Just throwing it out there what Garmin told me. I have not talked to Van's. Again not my plane but helping.

On the ground, with Avionics on, headset on, lifting the vane does nothing.
Doing AOA Cal today if air is smooth.
Plane has G3X, GTX remote transponder and panel mounted Garmin COM/Intercom, and two axis autopilot. I believe it is a GTR 200.

In the previous flight we did slow flight and approached stall, got a "AIRSPEED" aural warning. So there is audio from the G3X.

Suggestions on what to check. The owner did build plane, but I recall he had someone help him wire the avionics. All the avionics and autopilot are working as advertised. No complaints, just the stall vane aural warning.

Interesting you should post this... I had the same problem a couple of weeks ago. You could hear the microswitch contacts changing state when moving the stall vane, but no sound, unless I really moved it around. Long story short, it was a bad microswitch verified by no continuity with a meter when operated. Replaced it and no problem. The switch is a model VX-56-1C23 if you want to source from other than Van's. And do yourself a favor and don't try to reuse the #8-32 Phillips-head screws originally used to hold the switch assembly in place. It's so tight to reach in there and realign them with the nutplates. I replaced them with #8-32 socket-head screws so I could attach a hex wrench to them while installing. Made replacement much easier. So, check switch continuity with a meter or test light first, but that was my issue. Just sharing my experience with the same symptoms.

I had the exact same situation as Bob Y, including the socket head screws. I replaced the switch with one that looked the same but the spring tension was too high for accurate readings. I couldn’t find the exact replacement quickly so opened mine and burnished the contacts as a temporary fix. It has been working fine since, 4 months now.

Make sure the wires are connected to the correct terminals. One of them should be the common terminal.
Like Bob Y said, check switch continuity.
Check for voltage between the two wires. I don't know what it should be, but expect at least 5 volts.
If no voltage, then the problem is elsewhere.

If you take the white wire (W218) and touch the terminal directly to ground you should get audio in the headsets and an annunciation on the screen. This can serve as a quick check to verify if the issue is at the micro switch, as others have stated, or up stream in the wiring or configurations. Give this a quick check and let me know if you get an annunciation on the screen and/or audio and we can dial in what to do from there.

If you take the white wire (W218) and touch the terminal directly to ground you should get audio in the headsets and an annunciation on the screen. This can serve as a quick check to verify if the issue is at the micro switch, as others have stated, or up stream in the wiring or configurations. Give this a quick check and let me know if you get an annunciation on the screen and/or audio and we can dial in what to do from there.
If your stall warning switch checks out (clicks when moved & closes the circuit) and you still don't get an audible signal -- contact Van's. The circuit for that runs through the Arduino microprocessor on the AV-60000 power supply (along with trim and dimmer functions). They have been having problems with these. They might not have a solution but knowing of your results might be useful.

-Chris