backcountry

Well Known Member
I hear that insurance companies will no longer cover aircraft that’s flown by a pilot using the Sport Pilot rules but must have a medical.

Hmmm, and where actually are you hearing this? SO what is going to happen when/if MOSAIC is law? In basic terms, a medical won't be require to fly most GA aircraft. Yes, this is a very simple synopsis, but if they are refusing to insure under LS, what happen when only those that truly need a medical (commercial and cross border) will have one.

Only saying this after attending a meeting on medicals last night.

Not true at all in my experience. Insurance industry has not had a bad time with basic med pilots or sport pilots on DLs, and none that I am aware of are declining to underwrite. (Bona fides: former aviation attorney that still follows the trade.) Is i possible that a claims history or particular medical or operational needs (e.g. short, turf, private airstrip??) are a factor? Did you try a different broker?

Last edited:
This came from my neighbor that was refused to be renewed and tried different companies.
They will take basic med but not just light sports.

Call or email your agent/broker. Opinions you get from the internet would very likely have nothing to do with your particular situation.
That's exactly what Past President Lincoln said! Well, not exactly. But close enough!

Is i possible that (e.g. short, turf, private airstrip??) are a factor? Did you try a different broker?

I had this experience, private strip on my property. Even with the quote being for a 'bush' type aircraft, they wouldn't give me insurance to base it at home. I have to base it in town to get coverage. I think their minimum was 1800 or 2,000 foot needed for them to cover me. At the time I was 1,600' but have since lengthened it to 1800+

This came from my neighbor that was refused to be renewed and tried different companies.
They will take basic med but not just light sports.
“refused”? For what exactly was he refused? For example, If he was denied renewal of a Third Class Medical I’m afraid he’s screwed if I recall the current regs correctly he’s not legal to exercise Sport Pilot privileges. Hoping that MOSAIC will resolve that. Like many Private Pilots I let my medical lapse rather than risk getting denied for my 3rd Class renewal and not be able to fly my ELSA. I could be wrong and will go research now.

“refused”? For what exactly was he refused? For example, If he was denied renewal of a Third Class Medical I’m afraid he’s screwed if I recall the current regs correctly he’s not legal to exercise Sport Pilot privileges. Hoping that MOSAIC will resolve that. Like many Private Pilots I let my medical lapse rather than risk getting denied for my 3rd Class renewal and not be able to fly my ELSA. I could be wrong and will go research now.
I think he's saying that he was refused insurance renewal.

I have never had my underwriter even ask what my medical situation is. I imagine they can look it up on the FAA pilot database but I doubt they care.

Underwriters don't necessarily have updated databases either. When I tried to insure my STOL 180hp Cardinal, my broker couldn't find anyone to insure it on my 2500' long runway. They said it was too short for my plane. I told them I can take off and land in less than 1000' all day long. So after a little more questioning we found out that my runway ID: TA37 was registered to a heliport in the DFW area over 20 years ago and they thought I wanted to base my plane on that heliport :mad: even though I've had that FAA ID since 2016.

Oh, and I've been flying with BasicMed since I retired from flying for a living and that has never been an issue for me, up to now. There might be more to your friend's story that's not being shared right now.