olyolson

Well Known Member
Friend
I have a Smoke System Helper set up in the fwd baggage area of my -8. Recently the smoke pump decided not to work right. I have sent e-mails and text messages to Jim and know about his health issues. I don’t know exactly where he gets these pumps but it looks like it’s a Shurflo 8050-305-526. I am not 100% certain as the Smoke System Helper has their own label but it sure looks like the same pump. Anyone know it this pump is the right one in case I don’t hear from Jim soon?

This looks like it:

IMG_1390.jpeg

Last edited:
That sure looks like it.
I wonder who makes the injectors. I would love to get them from SSH but understand the situation.

D

Back when Smoking Airplanes was first started, the founder told me that the material the seals and parts were made out of was what was important.

A pump is a pump but will the seals, valves, and any of the parts the "smoke oil" touches be harmed long term is the question that we need to know.

I am lucky to have known both the founders of "Smoke System Helper" and "Smoking Airplanes."

Even if this is the correct pump it doesn’t come with the fittings but I could use the fittings from my current pump. Would it be best to seal these with Permatex thread sealant, proseal or something else that would stand up to smoke oil?

Last edited:
Even if this is the correct pump it doesn’t come with the fittings but I could use the fittings from my current pump. Would it be best to seal these with Permatex thread sealant, proseal or something else that would stand up to smoke oil?
Just my opinion but yes.

Any thread sealant that does not deteriorate with the material / liquid that you are pumping.

I have used thread sealant on all aircraft NPT pipe fittings for years. I have an IA friend that prefers Permatex as that is what he has used for years. I am old enough to know that both work and everyone has their own preference.

I personally don't think smoke oil is corrosive or destructive to seals. It's not much more than glorified transmission oil.
But that's my opinion FIXIT

Not Shur *pun* if you have a Northern Tool near you, but they have that exact pump in store usually. My diaphragm pump took some debris though it and it was CHEAPER to just go to Northern Tool and buy the entire assembly rather than buying just the diaphragm assembly from Smoking Airplanes. I drove 15 mins away, got the new pump, installed, and I was smoking again that afternoon. $50 cheaper than Amazon as well.

Only thing to change is this pump has a pressure switch installed. The one in your pic and the one in my airplane has a cover plate installed where the pressure switch mounts. No biggie... 3 screws later and it was ready to install.