burtw

Sponsor
When checking the VS-1014 Spar Cap to the VS-1003 VS Rear Spar I found a few of the pre-drilled 3/32 holes on the flange don’t line up with the spar cap. Tried to put a cleco through and couldn’t. Pretty much everything else lines up and I have the spar, doubler and caps clecoed in except for these few holes. My thought is to drill through the hole in the flange which would solve the problem but because of the misalignment would enlarge the spar cap hole slightly. Would be interest in feedback. I’ll probably check with builder support as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1777.jpeg
    IMG_1777.jpeg
    590.6 KB · Views: 35
I suppose it depends on how badly misaligned and whether anything else is amiss instead. First off I’d try an awl rotated gently in the hole to line it up better. I’ve had to use a reamer in several spots to get rivets to fit. Some of the holes aren’t so well aligned. Most of them in the instructions have you final size drill to #30 or #40, even though it seems not to be necessary in many places with the current kits. Don‘t forget to disassemble and deburr after drilling or reaming.

I take comfort in knowing that driven rivets expand to fill holes. A little extra space gets filled and won’t be loose, but a lot of extra space will mean sizing up (from 3 to 3.5 or 4/32 tail diameter rivets). I’ve made good use of the FlyBoys half-sized mini-oops rivets In several spots so far. Oops.

I suppose it depends on how badly misaligned and whether anything else is amiss instead. First off I’d try an awl rotated gently in the hole to line it up better. I’ve had to use a reamer in several spots to get rivets to fit. Some of the holes aren’t so well aligned. Most of them in the instructions have you final size drill to #30 or #40, even though it seems not to be necessary in many places with the current kits. Don‘t forget to disassemble and deburr after drilling or reaming.

I take comfort in knowing that driven rivets expand to fill holes. A little extra space gets filled and won’t be loose, but a lot of extra space will mean sizing up (from 3 to 3.5 or 4/32 tail diameter rivets). I’ve made good use of the FlyBoys half-sized mini-oops rivets In several spots so far. Oops.
Thanks! I think the misalignment comes from having to reorder the spar and trying to use the spar cap that was match drilled for the old spar. May have to order another spar cap if these holes are off too much. Seems like its worth having some mini oops rivets around in any case.

Last edited: