rsrguy3

Hi, I'm Guy and I'm a life long aviation adict....
1. supposing a basket case o320 with a red tagged crank was available with the rest of the parts serviceable,
What would be a fair price?
2. Because the crank is toast, could it be built into an o360?
3. What is the reliability of a stroked low compression Lycoming?
4. What's the best way to get the most reliable power from this case on mogas?

I understand the concepts of good displacement, ignition, induction and exhaust, but I dont have a way to make an educated guess as to potential output in this case, assuming the largest sluggs and longest stroke, ignition, exhaust etc....

I have an oo200 build under my belt, and am considering this project as a first step towards my next experimental build.
I'm considering this because I want to learn, so please don't bash me too hard.

My field is at 4200', and I'm not looking forward to paying for the privilege of running gammygas. I know this won't be an inexpensive build, but I want to be able to use it with or without 100ll.

The crank is the most expensive part, if you can find one. Likely 5-8k for a serviceable crankshaft and you’ll have to look hard for it at the moment.

If all other parts have been inspected and have yellow tags, probably around $10-12k with serviceable cylinders. If it hasn’t been inspected, much less. You could easily spend $10k just having everything inspected and repaired.

If you build it as 150hp I think you could run ethanol free gas with no problem. Biggest consideration is building the fuel system in a way that minimizes the chance of vapor lock.

Yeah... nothing has been inspected or yellow tagged... I know about the crank cost issue, which is why I was thinking about going with the 360 crank.... if I'm getting hosed might as well get really sopping wet...

Yeah... nothing has been inspected or yellow tagged... I know about the crank cost issue, which is why I was thinking about going with the 360 crank.... if I'm getting hosed might as well get really sopping wet... I'm looking for a guess on output from a stroked low compression o360... have you seen that kind of setup?

I'm flying an 0-320 that was converted to 0-360 with 8.5-1 compression and burn Costco premium all the time. I do have SDS EM5F fuel and ignition, But, that's not required for autogas.
You just need 8.5-1 compression or less in my understanding.
My luck varies FIXIT

I'm flying an 0-320 that was converted to 0-360 with 8.5-1 compression and burn Costco premium all the time. I do have SDS EM5F fuel and ignition, But, that's not required for autogas.
You just need 8.5-1 compression or less in my understanding.
My luck varies FIXIT
Awesome, how do you like it ? How's the power feel?

Awesome, how do you like it ? How's the power feel?
POWER? like any 360 does. I really don't care about "power" just as long as it gets me in the air fast enough. If I want the feel of power I get in my 2017 Nissan 370Z that's been tuned up a bit. Stock 235 HP now about 285 Hp Manual shift.
Now I will show you real power or should I say gravity when I roll about 45-50 and crank the wheel full one way or the other mash the throttle and we slide and do donuts with the smoke just pouring out of the rear wheel wells and the engine screaming at 8,000 rpm. The tuned pipes are so loud you have to wear ear plugs.
I've raced cars and planes are pretty mundane to me. 160 mph or 210 mph. I can't feel the difference. Just the ground goes by faster.
Oh I like the 110 gallon tank/pump/hose system in the back of my van for the Costco premium.
And the Blackstone reports come back NO lead.
My luck varies FIXIT

Just a bit of info on prices. I bought an o-320-b1a for $12k. The crank looked good but they found a crack on the forward oil hole in the crank and so I am going to have to replace the crank. The cost of a replacement crank is $7500 at aircraft specialties in tulsa. Two of the cylinders had to be replaced. And the total quote for rebuilding the cylinders and replacing the two was $5400 with new pistons and small parts. I haven't gotten the quote back on the case yet. The 12k was too much. It would have been a good deal if the crank had been good but that small crack really cost me. The cylinders weren't too bad the replacements were only about $200 more each than the overhaul price.

I really think a core engine is worth about $3k unless the seller is willing to offer some sort of written guarantee that the case and crank will pass inspection, which most sellers likely won’t do. You really don’t know if parts are any good until they are inspected by a shop, and even if parts pass inspection they frequently still need machine work done to them which costs money.