jimbo

Well Known Member
Patron
I have been troubleshooting occasional and erratic low oil pressure and to a lesser extent low fuel pressure readings on my GRT EIS for sometime now. I finally found the problem so I wanted to share with others who might be experiencing the same issue. The fix: I moved the ground wire for the EIS FROM a stud on the engine which was shared with and on top of the ground wire for the Emag electronic ignition TO the forest of tabs ground plate that I had riveted to the firewall. This change also shortened the ground wire about 3 feet. Since this change my OP and FP have been rock solid. The manual for the EIS said to connect the EIS ground wire direct to the engine so that's what I did but little did I realize the spikes in the ground current the electronic ignition was causing.

Hope this info will save others time in their search for causes in low OP readings.

After reading the Aeroelectric Connection, and following that discussion group for a couple of decades, I have become convinced that a good ground will cure many electrical issues.

Aren’t you supposed to BOLT the forest of tabs grounding units and NOT rivet them since grounding quality will suffer if rivets start smoking?

Aren’t you supposed to BOLT the forest of tabs grounding units and NOT rivet them since grounding quality will suffer if rivets start smoking?

I didn't use an engine side of the firewall forest of tabs ground plate. I suppose I could have added a plate and bolts just for support but I got to believe those several rivets fastening the forest of tabs ground plate to the firewall is very adequate and much lighter. On the cabin side I have bundles of ground wire zip tied together and supporting each other.

A brass or copper bolt and nut through the forest of tabs and a firewall brace with the battery ground cable attached on the firewall side. Another cable (welding cable) from the same bolt, to the engine case.

I didn't use an engine side of the firewall forest of tabs ground plate. I suppose I could have added a plate and bolts just for support but I got to believe those several rivets fastening the forest of tabs ground plate to the firewall is very adequate and much lighter. On the cabin side I have bundles of ground wire zip tied together and supporting each other.
I would suggest calling B&C and asking if rivets are ok. I remember learning the forest of tabs requires a bolt not rivets. B&C will know the definitive answer.