What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Shield Question

Cth6

Well Known Member
Currently I have an ICOM connected via a fast stack hub to a PM1000. The shields all terminate to ground on the PM1000 side.

I am wiring the AV-30 audio out to the ICOM radio intercom A channel as I use the PM1000 intercom audio in for my iPad. I can not figure out where I should terminate the shield for this run between the AV-30 and the ICOM.

Good Morning.
Use twisted shield pair - The overall shield should be connected to the ground terminal at the ICOM (I think pin 14, see attached) only, the shield should "float" (not connected) at the AV-30. The AV-30 audio out Hi should be connected to either pins 12 or 13 or 23, the audio out Lo should be connected to ICOM pin 14 at the ICOM unit.

Attachments

• Pages from av30install.pdf
    831.4 KB · Views: 7
  • IC-A220_INST_GDE_4.pdf
    809.1 KB · Views: 6
What Steve said. The rule of thumb is for all audio shields to connect to ground at the audio panel (or ICS) and never at the external device. This is different for data (non-audio) shielded wire where both ends are grounded to the respective component. Ignore the AV-30 schematic showing a ground connection on the AV-30 end of the audio channel. I personally never hook up AV-30 out but it's probably a good idea.

Back