What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

360 A1A SDS intake flange/ intake pipe cut

ERJDriver

Well Known Member
Hello all.

My flanges are wearing out and I'm looking into putting the SDS kit on there.

It says on the angle valve engines you have to cut the pipes to get the flanges on then reweld. Anyone successfully done this?

I was thinking I could boot them like the parallel valve engines to avoid having to weld

It says on the angle valve engines you have to cut the pipes to get the flanges on then reweld. Anyone successfully done this?
Yes, as the guinea pig for the SDS kit on the AV engines, I believe I was the first to do this. Short answer - not a problem. The cut and reweld took only minutes per pipe.

Well, there "were" pics in this thread, but they've been purged, apparently.

That said, I just cut my old tubes at the factory weld, swapped the flanges and just re welded. Could not even tell there was any work done. No need to jig them up, just make sure the cut line is aligned when you tack it.

Last edited:
I had to cut and weld my PV 360 tubes, because I'm running the Superior cold-air sump which uses the larger tubes. I found "a guy that knows a guy" to cut and weld them, really not a big deal. Mark them to make sure you get the correct rotation back on the reweld. I traded a fifth of Crown for the work after hours at an automotive exhaust shop, much cheaper than I could hire it done.

I've found that a slightly careless cut with a hacksaw results in an easy to index re weld joint. Suggest taking a nip of "the good stuff", sawing through the tube, then giving the remainder of "the good stuff,' to a guy with a welder.

All my tubes had an existing weld about 1 inch from the head. That’s where I cut. If the tubes were virgin, I’d cut them wherever it was easiest to re weld.

Back