What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

What Propeller do you use on a 150hp RV-4

BenNabors

Well Known Member
I am in the process of changing from a O-290, 125 HP engine to a O-320 150 HP engine. I am interested in knowing what length and pitch other are running on their RV-4's. Also state if it is wood or metal prop and what type of performance you have, climb rate and top speed.

I have an IO-320 160 HP and a Catto three-blade 67'' diameter pitched for cruise (70'' pitch).
With WOT it almost reaches the VNE.
It takes-off in 250 meters W/O flaps.
However, the tricky part of the flight is preparing for landing. It slows down very very slowly.

I am in the process of changing from a O-290, 125 HP engine to a O-320 150 HP engine. I am interested in knowing what length and pitch other are running on their RV-4's. Also state if it is wood or metal prop and what type of performance you have, climb rate and top speed.
RV-4; O-320 D1A, 160 hp; carburetor. Bernie Warnke 68/74 Almost Constant Speed wooden prop carved by The Master. It is the best looking of the wooden props and (biased opinion) might also be the best performing. Here's the problem with wooden props: they are all different in their performance, even from the same artist. I love mine but have not had another wooden (or other prop) on to measure the difference. She cruises easily at 152 kts at 2400/20 at 6.5-7gph at 8k and will do 180 kts at full throttle sucking 10 gph and working hard. I have the old (soon to be replaced) wheel fairings, if that helps any. All RVs have problems slowing down in the pattern, but this prop seems to function (really!) like a constant speed prop and slows down with the throttle pulled back. Planning ahead is the key to entering the pattern. Unless you fly a Cirrus; then 150 in the pattern seems to be OK...... 🤣 🤣

Metal and SC types: can't help you but there are plenty out there that will likely chime in.

Changing from 125hp to 150? Get ready for your smile muscles to hurt for some time...!!!😊😊😊

RV-4; O-320 D1A, 160 hp; carburetor. Bernie Warnke 68/74 Almost Constant Speed wooden prop carved by The Master. It is the best looking of the wooden props and (biased opinion) might also be the best performing. Here's the problem with wooden props: they are all different in their performance, even from the same artist. I love mine but have not had another wooden (or other prop) on to measure the difference. She cruises easily at 152 kts at 2400/20 at 6.5-7gph at 8k and will do 180 kts at full throttle sucking 10 gph and working hard. I have the old (soon to be replaced) wheel fairings, if that helps any. All RVs have problems slowing down in the pattern, but this prop seems to function (really!) like a constant speed prop and slows down with the throttle pulled back. Planning ahead is the key to entering the pattern. Unless you fly a Cirrus; then 150 in the pattern seems to be OK...... 🤣 🤣

Metal and SC types: can't help you but there are plenty out there that will likely chime in.

Changing from 125hp to 150? Get ready for your smile muscles to hurt for some time...!!!😊😊😊
So easy during the change to bump up the compression to 9.5 for 160 hp or more.

Most likely the metal Sensenich has been used on more fixed-pitch RVs than any other due to how long it has been on the market and it being the prop Vans has sold and recommended for a long time. It is a good all around prop but does have a 2600 rpm restriction. I flew in on my new 150hp RV-6 and then had it repitched (80") when I rebuilt the 150 O-320 into a 160. I still fly the prop and find it to be an excellent compromise for climb and cruise and durable in all weather conditions.

Most likely the metal Sensenich has been used on more fixed-pitch RVs than any other due to how long it has been on the market and it being the prop Vans has sold and recommended for a long time. It is a good all around prop but does have a 2600 rpm restriction. I flew in on my new 150hp RV-6 and then had it repitched (80") when I rebuilt the 150 O-320 into a 160. I still fly the prop and find it to be an excellent compromise for climb and cruise and durable in all weather conditions.
My 9 has this prop and as much as I hate this 2600 Rpm limit and feel like Im leaving performance on the table, the general consensus so far is that there really isn't any thing else that will perform any better.

Back