What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Should I update GTN650 SOFTWARE - What's the cost

walkman

Well Known Member
My 10 year old GTN 650 is at the following versions:
  1. Main Software - 6.11
  2. GPS/WAAS Software - 5.0
  3. Com Software - 2.2
  4. Nav Software - 6.02
NOTE: I'm NOT talking about databases which are current (or will be when I get back to the hangar)

Should I bother updating my software versions? If so, it looks like it has to go to a dealer, what's typically the cost?

My 10 year old GTN 650 is at the following versions:
  1. Main Software - 6.11
  2. GPS/WAAS Software - 5.0
  3. Com Software - 2.2
  4. Nav Software - 6.02
NOTE: I'm NOT talking about databases which are current (or will be when I get back to the hangar)

Should I bother updating my software versions? If so, it looks like it has to go to a dealer, what's typically the cost?
Hmmm I just finished distilling my Xi… I updated software (not databases) right from the website. Had to get out my 10 year old pc laptop, no Mac support but it all worked fine. Not sure if the classic gtn differs…

Sorry not distilling… installing 😂 I saved the distillates for after my shop time!

You can find the latest GTN/GTN Xi software, service bulletin, summary of changes, and software loader on the Garmin Experimental Software webpage.

There is no charge for the software. If you choose to have a dealer accomplish the software load for you, they will typically charge a defined shop rate.
The Garmin folks provide a very easy & useful update process via the website downloads (for units installed in Experimental aircraft). I have used them with a PC to write SD cards which when placed into the GTN (or GTNxi) provide a simple update experience. and Yes - Updating IS worth it!

Back