What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

Replacing a Garmin 695 with a panel mounted ipad

Camillo

Well Known Member
Hello to all.
I've been flying my plane for a few years now, and I'm using the ipad (Skydemon) more and more and the gps less and less. The gps is slow in finding the destination airfield and not connected to the network. I use a 695 panel mounted on the airgizmo stand. Does it make sense in your opinion to disassemble the gps and panel mount the ipad or is it better to keep the gps as a backup and leave the ipad on my knee? It would be easier to use it on the panel instead on my knee. However, I will only have Skydemon as a navigation tool.
Thanks.
Camillo

I would not have anything demon in my plane... what were they thinking?

My 695 works alright but I dont use it, it came with my plane mounted on a yoke ram mount. What I use for vfr and ifr for sit awareness is free Avare app on droid, the droid tablets and phones I have had over the past 10 years using Avare have all locked onto gps and been extremely accurate. Started with 2012 nexus 7 tablet, still have it and use it, perfect size. Also use it on Moto X and Samsung phones and Samsung tablets, unlike icrap you dont need the cellular version to use the phone or tablet gps, the wifi only tablets work great, have used about 5 different droid tablets since the nexus 7 and all work great. Best of all Avare is FREE!

Shot of the Nexus 7 droid tablet, works excellent

Attachments

• jhgjkhg.jpg
    jhgjkhg.jpg
    101.2 KB · Views: 18
Last edited:
Back