What's new
Van's Air Force

Don't miss anything! Register now for full access to the definitive RV support community.

KAI Page 38iS/U-12 - trimming F-1277B Aft Window

FlyingDiver

Well Known Member
The instructions on this page are not as clear about the intended result as I would like. If I'm reading it right, I just need to remove a small amount of material from the center rear of the plexiglass to make sure that the plexi doesn't actually touch the F-1232B-L & -R (1/32" clearance) when the front edge of the plexi is at or slightly in front of the rear edge of the F-1231A-FL & -FR Roll Bar Frames.

There doesn't seem to be anything in there about trimming the front edge of the plexi to get an exact match to the front frames. And, as far as I can tell, only the area right in the center of the aft edge needs to be trimmed.

Is that right?

Also, what is the purpose of the tape in step #15? I don't see it being used at all in this section.

The instructions on this page are not as clear about the intended result as I would like. If I'm reading it right, I just need to remove a small amount of material from the center rear of the plexiglass to make sure that the plexi doesn't actually touch the F-1232B-L & -R (1/32" clearance) when the front edge of the plexi is at or slightly in front of the rear edge of the F-1231A-FL & -FR Roll Bar Frames.

There doesn't seem to be anything in there about trimming the front edge of the plexi to get an exact match to the front frames. And, as far as I can tell, only the area right in the center of the aft edge needs to be trimmed.

Is that right?

Also, what is the purpose of the tape in step #15? I don't see it being used at all in this section.
The answers regarding the forward edge of the aft canopy can be found on the following page (13), in figure 2 as well as steps 4 and 8. Keep this dimension in mind when taking the measurement on page 12, step 8.

For another reference, take a look at section 39, page 9 figure 1. This is another look at the location of the fore/aft edge of each window relative to the roll bar.

The gap between front and rear windows lives roughly centered on the roll bar, slightly forward.

The answers regarding the forward edge of the aft canopy can be found on the following page (13), in figure 2 as well as steps 4 and 8. Keep this dimension in mind when taking the measurement on page 12, step 8.

For another reference, take a look at section 39, page 9 figure 1. This is another look at the location of the fore/aft edge of each window relative to the roll bar.

The gap between front and rear windows lives roughly centered on the roll bar, slightly forward.

Yeah, I reread that section after posting, and I see where the front edge is trimmed. So I think I have an idea what's going on now.

I think that tape on the aft edge is for final installation, to keep the sealant off the canopy. I'm going to skip that for now, since I won't be doing final install for a while.

What tool is recommended for doing the trimming? Section 5 refers to a cut-off wheel. I have a Dremel with cutting wheels, and also a full size grinder. I think the dremel would be better, but for the "notch" for the center aft I might just use a sanding drum. Thoughts?

Yeah, I reread that section after posting, and I see where the front edge is trimmed. So I think I have an idea what's going on now.

I think that tape on the aft edge is for final installation, to keep the sealant off the canopy. I'm going to skip that for now, since I won't be doing final install for a while.

What tool is recommended for doing the trimming? Section 5 refers to a cut-off wheel. I have a Dremel with cutting wheels, and also a full size grinder. I think the dremel would be better, but for the "notch" for the center aft I might just use a sanding drum. Thoughts?

I did most of my trimming with a large wheel on a Dremel. Some 'leveling' touch up with a hand held belt sander or long sanding strip. Some guys use a grinder. I think you'll probably be ok with any tool you are comfortable using.

Agree on the tape for final installation. It's common to hold off on that as a last step after completion and paint.

Back